Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for Heat Exchanger Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikimum

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2002
IN
I would like to purchase a design software for Heat Exchangers. The basic requirement is that it should have a huge database. (Something like Chemcad) Can anyone suggest some software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

htri is more commonly used, i think, but at the disadvantage of having almost no property database whatsoever. user will have to specify the neccessary data. you should assess both and decide thereafter.

Hyprotech (or their owners) the company responsible for HYSYS also produce HTFS and STX. These are programs for designing shell and tube heat exchangers and can be linked into the HYSYS model. HTFS is a comprehensive design program and STX is a simpler version. In addition there is a program called ACX for air cooled exchangers.

I am not sure if there is anything out there for the design of plate exchangers, spirals and printed circuit exchangers.

Nikimum,
Having used both BJac and HTRI, I'd recommend HTRI. I'd recommend BJac for mechanical design however, as it is excellent for that. HTRI has shown to have much more reliable heat transfer coefficients for both boiling and condensing cases. Their vibration analysis is also much better. Many E&C firms we build exchangers for now will only accept HTRI designs and won't accept BJac.
I don't how they stack up on price however.

Hi nikimum (Mechanical)

I agree with ti22 (Chemical) HTRI and now for the MECHANICAL DSIGN HTRI and CODEWARE the HOME OF COMPRESS

TEMA/ASME Heat Exchanger

This new program operates in conjunction with COMPRESS to design TEMA and ASME heat exchangers. A unique function allows concurrent calculation in both Codes. It designs all TEMA types except floating heads, which will be available soon. TEMA Editions 7 and 8, and ASME SEction VIII, Appendix AA are supported.

The demo version of TEMA/ASME is included in the demo COMPRESS. Heat exchangers in the demo version are limited to diameters of 60 and 120 inches. To design a heat exchanger in the demo choose File/New Heat Exchanger.

An innovative report format is used which presents a lot of information in an efficient way, keeping down report size. Unlike designing vessels component-by-component in COMPRESS, exchanger design is automated, and the entire exchanger is designed at once in a wizard interface. Flanged and flued expansion joint design is included, as well as fatigue analysis for expansion joints in cyclic service. Eight design conditions can be specified for each exchanger. The main features are:

- ID design
- English, metric, MKS units
- 8 separate loading cases
- Shear stress on tubesheet
- Allowable tube-to-tubesheet load
- Tubesheets with different thicknesses
- Differential pressure effect on tubesheets
- Cover deflection calculations per RCB-9.21
- Flange moments determined from the flange inputs
- Full ASME App. 2 flange calculations including rating of mating flanges
- Full ASME calculations on all components

In the coming months we will add floating head design. TEMA and ASME Heat Exchanger can be purchased separately or together.

Leonard@thill.biz

Hello,

I have no experience with the calculation of heat exchangers, but I need to know the nessecary power of a heat exchanger fed with plant steam and heating up softened water with the following conditions :
flow : 4 m³/h
Tin : 10 °C
Tout : 60 °C

Can somebody give some formula's ?

THX,
Bert.

Sorry,

I did it the wrong way. The above reply has to be a new thread.
Please ignore this, I will start a new thread.

Bert.

personally working with both B-jac and HTFS I prefer B-Jac as a design tool for mechanical design of shell & tube heat exchangers.
for thermal design i would like to suggest HTFS which is much more reliable.
for other types of exchangers like plate& frame, double tube and etc. actually i have no idea.
i also have to say that i'm curiouse about how compress works in this field, i do not have it and wonder if some one can guide me but please with practical references.

B-JAC is a design suite, having TEAMS for Shell & Tube mechanical design, HETRAN for Shell & Tube thermal design, and AEROTAN for air cooler thermal design. HTRI is only thermal design software for exchangers (HTRI Suite 2.0, Shell & Tube, Air cooler, PHE). HTFS is integrating the thermal and mechanical design in one software TASC. HTRI and HTFS are major thermal design softwares in the world. B-JAC TEAMS is a good S&T mechanical software, but the drawings it generates are useless. I used once another S&T mechanical design software Microprotol (by a Genmany-Franch company). Microprotol is very good software, but it is not user-friendly when I used it 5 years ago. Both B-JAC TEAMS and Microprotol can design the S&T per ASME Sect VIII Div.1, CODAP, AD-Merkblatter.

HTRI supports interfaces to several physical properties databases. Most notably, interfaces to Hysys, ProII, PPDS, DIPPR, and Refprop are fully supported. We also support interfaces with mechanical design programs such Microprotol, Micro Techno, and Win_shell. Additionally, the HTRI calculation engine can be called directly from the Aspen Plus flow simulator.

If the internal HTRI databank is insufficient for your needs, HTRI members can purchase the PPDS library through HTRI at a reduced cost.

Fred Hendrix, Software Developer
HTRI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back