Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for High Pressure Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjdp

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2004
US
Can anyone recommend software to calculate pressure drops in seamless tubing carrying natural gas at around 4000 PSIG? I have tried numerous programs and they either fail or return contradictory results. Need help on this soon. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you are dealing with a supercritical fluid. I don't have much experience with this but seems I've heard that you can estimate pressure loss using the Darcy equation assuming the fluid properties are more similar to those of the liquid but this may be appropriate only for small pressure losses.

As additional comment, I don't think thermophysical prediction software works well beyond the thermodynamic critical point so you may want to be careful there.

Wanted to make a correction to my last post. After checking a couple other references, a supercritical fluid is a fluid above its critical temperature and pressure where the liquid phase is indistinguishable from the vapor phase. From what I found in Perry's 7th edition, a supercritical fluid has a density more like the liquid but viscosity is more like the vapor.

So I think having a means of providing the proper physical properties is the key to getting good results from your fluid flow calculations.

Found these links that might be of interest especially the one from PSIG where they compare the results of equations of state for methane that approaches 2000 psia. I realize that is still 2000 psi short of your pressure.

I was a high purity gas engineer with an integrated circuit fab and when I needed information that was not readily available, I contacted the gas supplier. They will not give you the software (usually) but can give you the design data.
Hope this helps.
Air Products
Matheson
BOC
All of these may be able to help you if you do business with them.
Donna

You might like to contact Trey Walters at AFT. I am not sure about their Arrow software. They are however ex NASA engineers and thus will at least understand what you are referring to in your post. Go to for the links to their email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back