Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for Suspension Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
Real suspension design packages are too expensive for normal people to buy.

At work I use ADAMS, and dread to think what the license rates are. More usefully you might consider Working Model 3D, but that is still pretty expensive, at around $10k. It has the advantage that it is Windows based, and is quite easy to use. It took a friend of mine 2 days (with a few hints from me) to put a full vehicle model together that would drive over a bump correctly, doing the same thing from scratch in ADAMS would take weeks, particularly for a new user.

Still, 10k is a lot of dosh, so you might want to look at
I've tried it, it does work. It doesn't seem to have all the non-linear spring types (splines) that make ADAMS such a powerful program, but you should be able to model one wheel as it goes through its full articulation quite easily.

Cheers

Greg Locock

This is the home of Wm. C. Mitchell's RACING BY THE NUMBERS. I used an older version of this software to design my Formula SAE car's suspension. It was a geometery only package then. The curent cost is $1895. It only does suspensions but it does them well. It is used by several winning professional teams. The math behind it is well proven. It is very easy to use. Just change the values in a table for the type (A arm, strut...) of suspension you have.

I strongly recamend it. ProEpro

Greg

No need to get a functional copy of Solidworks... a standalone version does exist...

I've been looking for an add-in to AutoCad to accomplish basic Kinematics. To date, I've not had much luck. Does anyone know of such?
Kevin

I've just had a look at Susprog3d. It uses ball joints rather than compliant bushes for the mounting points, so it is not suitable for some suspensions. It also only works for certain suspension types - this is good, as it means that you don't have to decide how to measure toe and so on, as the designer has already worked that out.

The help system is very good indeed, puts the one in ADAMS to shame! I spent more time reading the help than playing with the program to be honest, it was that informative.

I haven't run a full analysis yet, I'm in the middle of a very long run doing something else, which is taking 10 minutes to solve 1 microsecond.

Incidentally the models included for the VT and AU are of V8 supercars, ie using the Falcon based rear suspension, not the road car's suspension.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Theres a demo disc with mitchell included in "race car engineering and mechanics" by Paul Van Valkenburg. the demo is pretty good, lets you mess around with pretty much everything, only catch is that you can't save the files properly (but there is a way to do it). for a starving student (me) who just likes to mess around with this stuff, thats good n'uff.

book is a good read too.

Greg
Mitchell's software is purely kinematic and does not consider deflections of any members or bushings. In the manuals he describes the models he used in detail. The manuals are actuly a usefull resource for learnign about suspension systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back