Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for test-analysis correlation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1esk

Aerospace
Apr 6, 2011
I am comparing vibration tests with FE results (Femap + Nastran) and would like to know which software (preferrably free) does the following:

* Overlay plot of test and FE FRF (should be easy)
* Manipulation of data, e.g. multiply, divide...
* Presents the test damping
* Modal correlation/MAC
* Simulated notching?

I had a look at SDTools and seems to do what I want, but looks like it is an add-on for Matlab. Dynaworks looks capable as well. Are there any alternatives?

Thank you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I attached a python module that I created to do most of those things. It works really well with the python(x,y) development environment (which can be downloaded for free at It can import NASTRAN .csv files that are generated with the XYDATAGENERATE command as well as uff 58 files from spectral dynamics control systems and it kinda supports .csv files from VWinII control systems (this may need a little work). Then it has commands to do most of the things that you are asking about. It can overlay data, create transfer functions, scale data and simulate notching. It won't calculate test damping and correlate modes, but I find those things pretty easy to figure out with the transfer functions and overlays just by looking at them. Maybe it will help? (If you would like documentation... you might just have to ask me how to use it. Sorry)

Hi,

Would recommend LMS virtual lab correlation module.

It has three sub-modules

1) pre-test : To recommend better accelerometer/excitation locations based on the FE data

2) Correlation: Comparison of Test and FE results in terms of MAC/FRAC

3) sensitivity analysis and model refinement: Refinement of FE model.

Regards,
elogesh

Might suffer from sticker shock there. Also it doesn't handle the final requirement as far as I know.

Basically the first 4 requirements are fairly trivial, if you can afford a canned solution then go with that, but you really are paying a lot for a little.

It'll be interesting to see how you go with MAC, it never was worth a damn in my field.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back