Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for underground concrete tank design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adhikary

Structural
Feb 14, 2003
US
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am looking for software that can do analysis and design of underground reinforced concrete tanks encountered in water and wastewater engineering, manholes etc.

Moreover, if anyone has information on good reference on this topic, I would appreciate help.

Bimal
FLA/Austin TX

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to have an old basic routine program that designed these tanks/boxes using ACI 318. I have not used it in so many years. I would be happy to share the source code with you if interested. You have to use it in DOS environment.

Let me know.

Lutfi

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am right now designing underground Reinforced concrete water tank.
tha following references we are using.
1. ACI 350/350R-2002
2. ACI 350.3
3. ACI 318
4. TID Document 7024. Dynamic Pressure on fluid container.

I am also looking for software & other references.

I have designed many sewerage pumping station (max 20m deep). I analysed 3-D finite element model using STAAD III. Design using the parameters as outlined in ACI 350. I may help if needed further.

The PCA has a very helpful publication entitled "Rectangular Concrete Tanks". The following description is from their website:

Description: The latest in analysis and design for rectangular tanks. This new edition contains vastly expanded design tables.
Abstract: Presents analysis methods for rectangular tanks containing fluids. Describes the analysis procedure and gives tables of coefficients for moments, shears, and deflections due to uniform and triangular loads. Support conditions considered are free and hinged tops and hinged and fixed bases. Also covered is durability, minimum reinforcement, crack control, formwork considerations, and multicell tanks. Comprehensive design examples illustrate the use of the tables and design aids.

Item Code:IS003
Date of Publication: 1998

Coefficients from the tables in the book can be imported to a spreadsheet program for whatever purpose is desired. Reverse the sign of the coefficients for exterior loading.

Frank Hartzell
fhartzell@comcast.net

Frank Hartzell
Jacobs Engineering
Conshohocken, PA
frank.hartzell@jacobs.com

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I have the PCA handbook and thinking of using it for the design. If anybody has the idea on simple software instead of 3D FEM, it would be a great help.

The PCA handbook has one example for wall and top slab design, how about the base slab (foundation design)?

Lutfi,
Could you send that program source code, to my email add. I wanna try it.

Bimal

Hi

There is one PCA publication by Javeed Munshi " Design of Liquid Containing concrete structures for Earthquake force".
We are also using PCA ADOSS program for design of roof slab and bottom slab. It does flat slab design as per ACI-318.

Sorry to respond so late. I was out of the country and just got back. Please send me or give me your e-mail address.

Thanks,
Lutfi

There is a new program called DP-Vault intended for the preliminary design of precast sectional underground vaults. It uses AASHTO criteria for HS20 and HS25 loading and will design top slabs, sectional walls and base slabs using plate analyses based on the tables in the PCA publication. Contact me at rthornton@deltaengineers.com if you would like more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back