Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software packages for vibrational transfer function evaluation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinL

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2013
US
I'm trying to vibrationally optimize a thermal braid for use in a temperature-regulated tomography stage. I've used Solidworks to find the minimal thermal specs for this braid but I don't see a way to model this braid vibrationally via FEA.

My current plan is to use a cone speaker to sweep a sine tone (~25Hz-500Hz) through the braid and use two accelerometers to capture its transfer function as a function of frequency--I've already tried broadband noise but SNR looks too low to be reliable. Can anybody recommend a software package that has a tone generator as well as two-channel analysis (to grab a spectrum at the vibration source and another at the downstream side of the braid)? I've looked into some low-cost FFT analyzers, but most look pretty unreliable and one of the two I tried had a downright math error in calculating the FFT.

I'm not very familiar with vibrometry but this operation seems like something that people do all the time, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LabView from National Instruments is a great software for signal processing like FFT. It works well with their DAQs obviously and that seems to me like a good combo if you haven't that equipment already. MatLab and Simulink is my software of choice, but it's really expensive if you don't have it already and a bit overkill for your specific application I think. But if your company already have a license for it I can't find a reason to use another one.

If you don't have several tens of thousands of dollars hanging around then you might have more luck with than I have.

The specific issue you have created for yourself is that you want the input and output signals generated from the same device. I do not know enough about PC soundcards to know whether this is tricky.

It would of course be helpful to know which packages you have tried already.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back