Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software recommendations for API 650 tank design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer406

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2006
US
Hey group,

I searched and didn't come up with anything. What are the most popular software choices for API 650 design software?

We currently use Compress for our ASME tanks... but now are starting to build a few API 650 tanks... would like to have a software that will function similarly to Compress.

TANK appears to be decent judging from the pictures.. but the trial version doesn't let you run any calcs.... which isn't very helpfull to me to test it out.

Any recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't ever seen any software that really looked general enough to be that useful. A plain-jane tank may work great, but then again, that's quick and easy by spreadsheet or hand as well.

Check on whether any software you're buying includes Addendum 4 to API-650, as well.

We have the latest API 650 code book. It has changed considerably on the earthquake calcs required.... and no more than we do.... we would like the software.. to have that code built in to back-check for code violations....

To my way of thinking, you'd want to use the software when you are very familiar with the code it uses and do a lot of tanks. The software shouldn't be a substitute for knowledge of the standard.

I agree with JStephen,
my conclusion is each project is different and requires correct interpretation of the Code.
Commercial Softwares do not give this flexibility..and
do not deal (to my knowledge) with the last wind, seismic issues (for instance).

In my case I use Matchcad in conjunction with Tank...

Go to for a trail version of Etank. It's a good program for both 650 and 620 designs and allows you to view the complete calculations taking place behind the scenes. I agree that it should only be used by a tank engineer knowledgeable of the standard. Also, they have yet to release the update for Addendum 4 so you will have to develop the seismic portion on your own. Good luck!

Seismic is not the only major change. Wind uplift on the cone roof is now 30psf, and many tanks require anchors now. There are other changes, some subtle, some less so.

We have both ETank and ITSDesign. ETank is currently more complete and has API-620, but we have not been able to receive any return contact as to when API-650 Add 4 might be incorporated. The only commercially available program I am aware of that is currently available with Add 4 is ITSDesign from innovative tank solution (link in Jaydees post above).

ITS checks for new builds via the internet similar to Compress, but the similarity stops there. None of the current API programs have anywhere near the sophistication of Compress. I believe 2 of the 3 available programs have only one person doing the programming. So programs typically take months to incorporate Add. changes. ETank is not working to the current add. in either API-650 or API-620 for example.

I have also received no email response yet from COADE tech support when requesting when Add 4 might be available in TANK, which I have demo'd, but not used.

When quoting over 100 designs a month a commercial program can be very useful, but you need to have sufficient familiarity with the code to determine when to question or suspect an error in the program. We have also had an independent P.E. review program output through the years.

The advantage of working with smaller vendors is that they are more open to user suggestions, (due to significantly smaller user base), and errors caught can sometimes receive corrected builds within a day. The risk is the limited level of QC can permit more errors to be released. I have found it advisable to check against in house hand calcs or spreadsheets or another API program to review and compare differences.

Unlike ASME software which has several mature options to choose from, there are no easy answers for API software. The commercial programs often have to be supplemented with additional calculations, but can be significant time savers once you verify their accuracy, especially at quotation stage (from a fabricators perspective).

I would suggest obtaining demos and talking to the 3 potential vendors to evaluate which if any would meet your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back