Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software suggestions for Pressure Vessel Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umar107

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2016
US
We are looking for a good software which deals with pressure vessel and heat exchanger design calculations. Previously we have been using PV Elite which is really good but due to some license limitations we are looking for some other option. We will prefer one which doesn't require internet connection for license activation.
Can you please suggest a good alternative of PV Elite and Compress?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you intend to pay the developers for their work developing this software ?

Which PV codes and Standards do you intend to meet ? .... Not all developmental software meets all codes and standards.

Where will these pressure vessels and HXs be installed ? ... Will your plans require any type of dynamic(seismic)analysis ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Since you've ruled out PVElite and Compress I am assuming you're working with ASME VIII-1. I think your only other option is DesignCalcs. There are some other fringe programs out there but I am not too familiar with them. You may need to develop your own spreadsheets to supplement any shortfalls in the commercial software.

I use DesignCalcs, but don't really have experience with the other options to compare.
With a lot of software, you can have a garbage-in/garbage-out issue, and that is true of Design Calcs. You do have to understand what's going on to use it effectively, and it does have some quirks.
Several years back when I first started in this, I did work up an Excel workbook for a horizontal tank with nozzles, manways, saddles, wind, seismic design. That in itself was a major investment in time (also a great learning experience). But as soon as that was done, "Let's design this one vertical vessel". So if your application is cookie-cutter enough, that Excel process will work great, but if you're working on a variety of different geometries, it's harder to do that.

Visual Vessel Design, short VVD? Currently under hexagon and often sold as a package with PVE.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

@MJCronin, Equipment will be installed in Pakistan and we'll be dealing with Section VIII Div 1 vessels and heat exchangers. & yes, software should be able to deal with seismic loads.We need a licensed software that could be an alternative to PV Elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back