Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software to predict steel hardenability 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterCharles

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2002
GB
More years ago than I care to remember I was given a piece of software called 1E38 by Caterpillar. Plug in the chemical analysis of the steel (within limits) and it would give you predicted Jominy results. I think I got it legitimately from Caterpillar.

Anyway, it's a bit old now and runs under DOS.

Is there any current software anyone can suggest to do the same thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Caterpillar still offers this program designed to run under a more modern OS. This was a few years ago, but I got a copy of the version by cd-rom. I think I had to send a blank one in a self addressed stampped envelope, but they sent me their program.

It does have some limitations, in that the regression tables are not listed, nor does it allow you to go beyond their established limits, unless they have changed the program.

I know in the past that they published the regression equations in the 1E0038 specification. They made 1E0038 obsolete and combined it with 1E0024. I don't think they include the regression tables in the newest version, but I could be wrong. Again I haven't dealt with the specification in a good many years.

Best of luck

deadrange & CoryPad,
An e-mail has been sent to Caterpillar so we'll see what happens. I've also looked up details of SteCal, thank you.

1E38 has a composition limit of 1.50 mass percent Ni, so 4340 is not able to be calculated due to its Ni concentration (1.55 to 2.00 mass percent). You can use 1.50 for Ni in 4340 with 1E38 and get a lower bound estimate for hardenability.

I will try to do so and estimate my value of Ni 1,75
Hope that my customer approve.

It seem to be difficult to have programs for many diffrent steelgrades when it comes to jominy. Dont really like to make a real test dont think they are good enough.

So if anybody have any program to calc diffrent steelgrades
please let me know.

I do like this forum. First time i have seen it. Is it US or GBR.

Heavyforgings,

You can go about calculating 4340 Hardenability a couple of ways. I believe StelCalc works for 43XX grades of steel. Also if you are able to get your hands on an older copy of the actualy specification from Caterpillar 1E0038, they included their regression equations for each element. You can then go and calculate the Hardenability of each J point based on the new DI that is created.
My understanding is the reason why Caterpillar's program for calculated jominy isn't as good for some alloy compositions is because they don't typically buy a whole bunch of these grades. The regreassion equations are based on the Grossman tables and with enough data points refined to the program you have in front of you. However, without enough data points they cannot make the regression better.

PeterCharles:
Also one last comment. I believe in 2006/07, I can't remember the exact year, Caterpillar made 1E0038 obsolete. They combined the specification with 1E0024 their general steel specification. I am not sure if they have changed the name of the program name. You may want to contact your UK dealer and ask for a program for 1E0024.

dbooker,

Thanks for the info on SAE J406. I originally checked ASTM A 255 and verified that it is valid only up to 1.5% Ni max, and just assumed that SAE J406 was the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back