Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software to Program With Graphics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonv

Electrical
Jan 30, 2003
US
Hello, I'm working on making a simple program to perform Power System Analysis. This will be for my personal use. I have the calculations on Excel and have some Macros on Visual Basic. I would like to create graphics for the elements (i.e. Cables, Loads, Transformers) and assign/adjust the values of those elements when click on the element and a window with the properties will open. I'm not too familiar with the latest on programming languages. What are the differences between Visual Basic, the Visual Basic .NET or Visual C++?. Which of this programs should help me to make my program?. I would like to run it on windows.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you already have some VB done, and you do not have a direct need for C++ and you did not indicate any specialty I/O needs, then it would seem teh VB .NET would be the way to go. MicroSoft is pushing C# instead of C++, but it is more like Java (IMO). I did something similar 3 years ago and decided on Borland C++ and purchased a professional picture/toolkit/object library for $1500 US and have been very happy. If you do not need to get into C++ then don't. You did not mention Java, which should be one of alternatives, but not a gretone since you already have VB done.

Windows versions of Excel have some graphics capability; I have no idea if it's enough for what you want.

Billy has strongly encouraged everyone to adopt the ".NET initiative", but he has not actually revealed what it is. Some folks insist that it's a nefarious scheme to eventually ensure that your data is stored exclusively on Microsoft owned servers, and cannot be accessed except via Microsoft software for which you'll have to pay an annual usage/access fee, to Microsoft. Some people use C++ and like it. For me, C and its offspring serve as uncontrollable bug generators. Your mileage may vary.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Another suggestion: Although I have not personally done any programming with Microsoft Visio, I have seen a fairly hefty commercial HMI (Human-Machine Infterface) program built with it. It's very easy to create graphical "shapes", or objects, that can be manipulated programmatically. There is a quite extensive library of pre-made shapes that comes with the Professional version. VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is supported, but info on the Document Object Model may take some digging to find.

Good Luck,
Greg Hansen

Thanks to everybody. Should I get the VB or VB professional or VB .Net. The stuff that I have on VB right now is with the VB that comes or Excel uses.

For what you say you are doing VBA is adequate

TTFN

Sorry but I forgot to ask, Can I make toolbars? and are we talking on the VB that cost about $100.00 if not which one I should be looking for? I'm not too familiar and when searching there are too many different packages.
Thanks.

Since you're doing your calculations in Excel, you can use VBA to do the HMI stuff. Using anything else is probably overkill and will keep you doing programming instead of engineering

TTFN

If you're on DSL, you can get VB for free from
It is the Beta edition but adequate for small programs. Alternatively send MS £3 (or whatever the equivalent is in the US) and they'll send you the disk. If you want to try C# or C++, you can also get the beta editions from the same site.

Hi wilsonv (Electrical)
I have same idea that you have. And I know a bit of VB6 but I am not able to program it. I read a couple of VB books and sample programmes but so far no clue.
How is your 'project' so far?
Appreciate it if you can share your experience.

Or anybody has any suggestion? Any Inputs?Any clue?

Regards

I would also vote for delphi. I have done some fairly complex things with Borlands Turbo Pascal and now with Delphi.
Including database design (Borlands Interbase), autocad drawings viewers, interaction with word and excel, PDF writing, a two plane and single plane balancing calculator, and many more. Currently I am looking to use flash animations to include in one of my apps.

I was caught in the transition phase from mainframe to personal computers and started programming with FORTRAN. Since Fortran was not available on PC's I switched to Turbo pascal which have a similar structure.
The Delphi, VB and C++ books are written for programmers, not engineers.
On the other hand, matrix calculation, advanced math etc.. have tons of code written in Fortran.
Ask a programmer about a Newton-Raphson iteration or complex numbers, he probably will not know what you are talking about.
Thus I managed translate fortran code to pascal "Delphi" and I never had the problem finding scientific code snippets in technical books.

I know some top of the line industrial products that make use of Delpi, Interbase, Borland C++, all products from Borland.

Example: Matrikon - process interfase
Commtest Ascent - Vibration Analyzing Software used together with a VB3000 vibration analyzer.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back