Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfabian

Structural
Jul 2, 2003
US
We just got a new project that is most likely going cast-in-place. Since it is a condo that will not architecturally accommodate spandrel beams (or any beams for that matter), we are looking at flat plate construction. We have shear walls, but based on their location and configuration within the building, we are going to have significant uplift forces on them; therefore, to reduce the forces on the shear walls we are going to try to use a dual system. If we can accomplish 25% resistance in frame resistance, we can justify this design concept.

We use RAM Strucural System for steel and are willing to purchase RAM Concrete, but since RAM cannot provide the design tools as efficiently as I would like I am willing to look elsewhere. So....my question is, "What is a good design tool for this project?"

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

However, I am not sure you can model shear walls into ADOSS, can you, JAE?
I do not have ADOSS currently, but it is excellent for designing flat plates, flat slabs, and one way slabs with beams. It even can handle lateral loads.
So, if I were you, and ADOSS cannot model shear walls, then I would determine lateral forces to walls and frames by doing a relative stiffness analysis by hand, and then use ADOSS to design the flat plates.

DaveAtkins

Your best bet is to use a program like ETABS and do a frame-shearwall interaction. By modeling the slabs and columns with the appropriate crack modifiers (0.25 for slabs, 0.30 for beams and 0.7 for columns)you will see that you are forcing the frame to resist about 25 percent of your lateral loads....good luck.

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems like ADOSS is a winner among everyone. The project has changed, and I think that we're going to eliminate the dual system and only use shear walls. This obviously simplifies the design for the lateral system, but we are still looking for a good flat plate design tool.

Based on what you guys have said, the ADOSS program is an excellent choice. Do any of you have any experience with RAM Concept?

andyfabian,

I have used RAM Concept with good results. One advantage to using Concept is its compatablity with RAM SS. It was first intended for PT design, which it does, but will also handle non-PT slabs as well. Future versions of Concept will allow for you to model the floor slab and import it into RAM SS. With any program, especially F.E. programs, there is a certian learning curve but after that initial floor design, typical floors should only take 3 hours.

Regards,

AUCE98

In my opinion, RAM Concept is a superb tool. If your floor plan has any degree of irregularity or non-orthogonality, Concept will allow you to confidently evaluate forces and stresses that in the past could only be guessed at or "enveloped." None of the software based on the equivalent frame method can be compared to Concept as to versatility and surefootedness in making engineering decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back