Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil cement mix design for slope protection and levee 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciubotaru

Civil/Environmental
Jun 5, 2016
RO

First of all I apologize if my english is not very good :)).

I wrote and ask two years ago about soil-mixing design, when i was at master.
Now i am at phd and i want to make an experimental sector on a river (like 20 m) with a soil-cement (but insted of cement i want to use Dorosol C30 and Doroport TB25 - this is two hydraulic binder of HOLCIM).
I am from Romania, in our country we don`t study this tipe of protection and i need a little help.
I want to discuse with someoane who make and want to help me to make a great thing.:D
I study ASTM, i make some geotehnical study, but i want to evolve thise domein.
Can anywane help me and colaborate?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even if different cementing material, I'd look into what may be available as reference from the Portland Cement Association. Their Internet site has many sections and by working around there you will fine lots of information.

Here is just one link from their WEB site

There may be a sister association in Europe also.

Agree with OG....PCA has some good publications on soil-cement including a laboratory manual, a general handbook and field inspection manual.

The soil conditions will dictate the cement content of the soil cement, given a consistent unconfined compressive strength requirement, such as 300 psi in 7 days. Be careful of having organic materials in the soil. Even organically stained sands can cause a reduction in available calcium for hydration (search calcium absorption factor for soil cement).

whether you use portland cement or something different, you will need to run laboratory tests with your proposed soil stockpile and cement in order to determine
amount of cement to use
amount of other binders
amount of pozzolan such as fly ash
compressive strength at 7-, 28-day and longer periods.
durability for freeze thaw or wetting/drying

If you are intending to use this for river bank stabilization, then you will need much more than 300 psi compressive strength at 7 days. I would recommend at least twice that. We commonly specify 700 psi at 7-days for bank protection and higher for structures in the river bottom.

Thank you for the answers!
You know engineers who designed such a thing or where can i find them .... I needed more details if it could be a PhD thesis.
I want to read about this river bank stabilization...some articles or some book...
Thx again!

Hy again!
I study more, and now i make the test in laboratory accordin ASTM.
Now i want some article or where can i find something to read about soil-cement riprap.
I read i short article about this tipe of protectio in Concrete construction article and in a study at Mississippi River but i don`t understand how this riprap are made.Can anyone help me?

typical method for soil cement bank protection
9r36e9.jpg

riprap_d5c9xr.jpg

They made bank protection and then drilling / punching / broken the bank protection? (this type of protection look like big stones >500 kg)-riprap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back