Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil Erosion Problem, what are the causes? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thien2002

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
I just got a warning letter from Oklahoma City about erosion problem from our new church construction site. We need to fix it ASAP before getting a fine. These are things we need to finish this weekend.
Possible solutions:
1) Laying about 5000 sft of sod to prevent erosion problem.
2) Cleaning up all the dirt on the driveway and parking lot which built up recently because of heavy rainning.
3) Rebuild a piece of fence behind the new building to prevent things that have been stolen.

Could someone please recommend some solutions and perhaps, could let me understand the cause of the erosion. Thank you so much in advance!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a civil engineer in your congregation, or involved in designing your site grading and pavement plans? S/he needs to advise you - so that you can meet the City's specific requirements.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Unfortunately we do not have a civil engineer since this is only a Church construction project, we do not have that luxury. Could anyone else have other less creative idea as Mr. Focht3 :))).

Which is cheaper the engineer or the fine?

You are only dealing with a small area. Get the civil engineer as Focht3 recommended. Explain the situation and it may only take him an hour onsite to spot the problem and recommend a fix. He may even be generaous and donate the hour needed.

Don't take short cuts because funds aren't there. Get the right advice first and then fix the problem as instructed, otherwise you may get more letters from the city.

regards
sc

I tend to agree with Focht3. Your question is very general. Your problem may or may not be a simple fix. Perhaps a local landscaper could shed some light. But be cautious. As they say ... "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut"

I sympathize with your predicament - in a very limited way. You must understand that non-profits - including churches - must be responsible members of the community. That includes being prepared - financially and technically, as well as spiritually - for the responsibilities that come with undertaking new construction. I suspect that your current problem could have been foreseen had the church retained a civil engineer as a part of the project. A plea of poverty doesn't cut it with me - after all, the church had enough money to hire a contractor, buy materials, etc.

Some additional questions:

Have you actually talked to the City? What did they tell you was needed?

What position has the contractor taken?

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

This weekend we will have a crew coming to help since the weather is getting warmer. I am sorry that I didn't ask the question properly and now we are leading to a different objective.
Can someone give me some of the cause of EROSION, what are the effects, and why the City is so concern about the violation? Is the contractor responsible since they are the one performing the work on that soil like building new parking lot (this is a grassroot project) and foundations. Thank you.

The cause of the erossion is probably heavy raing washing bare soil into the street and then into the sewer system. The problem is that it builds up sediment in the drainage system which the city will have to clean out and if the drainage discharges into a stream, can oversilt the water damaging aqutic life. Some possible low tech solutions are
1.) seed and hay mulch the bare area. Get a seed mix known as 3 day rye or contactor's mix. Water the area religously (no pun intended) for a week. If you get some grass growing that should cut down on the erosion. 2.) Buy some silt fence (or convince your local lumber yard to make a charitable donation). It is a roll of filter cloth with a stake every 10 feet or so. Use it to ring the edge of the disturbed area. Dig a small trench along the bottom and bury the bottom 9" or so. This way the silt does not run under the fence. The best thing about it is that the conservation officers love to see that stuff up. Both of these methods are cheap and easy and can be done with a group of volunteers. However not having seen the site it is tough to make specific recomendations. I would suggest you go to your town engineer's office and explain the problem. If you show that you want to solve the problem, but need a little direction, I am sure they would be willing to help. (if the pastor were to to talk to the mayor's office first it really wouldn't hurt)
Good Luck!

DRC1: Thanks for the valuable post!
1) Laying about 5000 sft of sod to prevent erosion problem.
2) Cleaning up all the dirt on the driveway and parking lot which built up recently because of heavy rainning.
3) Rebuild a piece of fence behind the new building to prevent things that have been stolen.

How about the above solutions? Do you think that is also effective?

Can you explain the solution *** 2.) Buy some silt fence (or convince your local lumber yard to make a charitable donation). It is a roll of filter cloth with a stake every 10 feet or so. Use it to ring the edge of the disturbed area. Dig a small trench along the bottom and bury the bottom 9" or so. This way the silt does not run under the fence. The best thing about it is that the conservation officers love to see that stuff up. ***

Laying the sod should help prevent erosion of the soil. It is more expensive than seeding. Both need a lot of watering for the first week. (By the way I am assuming OK City is warm enough now for planting. I'm getting snow tommorrow.) Cleaning the parking lot is a good idea as a heavy rain will carry it into the street and into the sewers. Fixing the fence may not effect your soil errosion, but may prevent erosion of your other property.
As for the silt fence it is made from a porus material, generaly a woven plastic material that allows water to pass through easily, but traps the silt solids on the upstream side. Hay bales can also be used. They are placed sided by side to form a fence one bale high around the disturbed area. A stake is driven through the center of each bale to hold it in place. Like the silt fence, the water passes through, but the dirt stays inside. Your building official or soil conservation officer probably can show you details and explain how to best use them.
Hope that explains it better

You should have this all behind you by now - but how in the world did you get a permit for construction without having a sediment and erosion control plan approved by the local authorities?

Hmmm,

A REALLY good question!

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

I guess it would be very helpful to describe the soil and its conditions. If we know what soil it is maybe there is a chance to help you out. I guess you are refering to calyey soil. Try to give an illustration of the whole project. Is it on a flat area? is it on a hill? what is the extend of the erosion? does it seem in any parts like big pieces of soil are about or have already slipped? If this is a rainy period you may have a serious problem digging into this soil. But all these are simply hypothetical. I really need an illustration...

Viscosity Index. Does any1 know about the viscosity index (Iv) and its relation to viscosity? There is a publication (Leinenkugel 1976) that connects it to WL (liquidity limit) but its available only in German. This is a useful parameter to describe viscous flow of soils (i.e. in a creeping slope).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back