Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soil interaction model in sap2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mai2015

Civil/Environmental
Mar 26, 2015
EG
Hi...
I'm trying to model soil structure interaction on sap2000
I'm solid elements to represent the raft and soil
I want to get moment from this model to compare it with anthour model where i represented the raft as shell element and soil as springs but sap2000 gets stresses for solid elements only so :
1- how can i get moments from solid elements in sap 2000?
2- Is there any thesis that discuss this point in soil interaction ?

thanks a lot

mai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Is it OK when you solid elements to present the raft and soil? They are different material. Can define link element (like gap) to present this connection.

Moment is a concept based on the stress and lever arm. Moment is defined only for Beams and Planes where its thickness (or cross section ) is based on the section property. If you want to get the moments for a solid, you have to calculate it manually by taking the stresses on either side of the solid block and then based on the section modulus the moment has to be calculated.

PlasmaStruc i tried to get the moments manually by getting the max stresses at the joints of solid element and applying the equation stress=M*y/I ,,but i think i have to integrate the stresses along the faces of solid element what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back