Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Modelling Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisbekakos

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2014
GB
Hello all,

I am trying to model the interaction of a pneumatic tyre rolling on a deformable soil. Any type of deformable soil (sand-mud-muskeg).

Although I have managed to make a somehow reliable and realistic model regarding the rolling process of the pneumatic tyre, I am facing significant errors and troubles with choosing the material parameters of the soil.

Most of the researches in my field are modelling the soil using Drucker-Prager or Mohr-Coulomb. However, there is a lack of a full D-P criterion parameters description in almost every publication.

So my question is:

Is there any chance any of you might have some valid soil material parameters using the D-P yield criterion for any type of soil?

Thank you very much for any reply.

Regards,
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you haven't already, try the US Army Corps of Engineers Engineering Research and Design Center (formerly Waterways Experiment Station). They have done a lot of research on vehicle mobility on soft ground, and some of it may be unclassified and available.

For most of us practicing geotechs, Drucker-Prager is a distant memory from grad school. I remember the name, but no more than that.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have already tried WES but there are many parameters missing in order to complete a Drucker-Prager model in Abaqus.

Thank you for your time.

You might want to ask in the Agriculture Engineering forum and check out Ag Engineering sites - they have to worry about equipment loads for farming - how soon on "soft" soil can they get on to get the crop in - or out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back