Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soil reinforcement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantman1

Military
Mar 11, 2001
US
hi

i am current researching the vast subject of soil reinforcement, i have to write a paper on the applications, econmoics and the current treads in the construction industry. I've to focus on soil nailing, gabion type fill reinforcement and geotexiles (fiberous/ Geo grids). i am also interested in the used of specific tree and plant type soil reinforcement in the construction industry.

I'm a Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps with 20 years of experience. I am not exactly sure what you are looking for but hopefully I can help. By your handle it says that you are a in the Military field also. Try to get hold of the Army's FM 5-410/ Soils Engineering, it will probably be the most helpful to you. FM 5-430 (Military Roads) and FM 5-434 (Earthmoving Operations) may be helpful if you have access to them. FM 5-34 which is considered the Engineer Bible has a chapter devoted to soils stabilitation and also a section on roads stabilitation using field expedient methods such as timbers, etc.

One of the methods that can be used is "sand grid" which is geotextile type material that opens up into a honey comb design and can be filled with material of a smaller particle size and then compacted. Gabion baskets work well but you have to use cobles (3" and greater) to fill them. one alternative to gabion baskets is what we call "Concertainers" made by HESCO. They are simular to gabion baskets except that instead of fine gauge wire it uses small steel bars of about 1/4" dia and is lined with geotextile/landscapers fabric. The advantage is that you can use scooploaders to fill them and you can use vertually any material because the geotec liner can hold in the the fines while the steel bars can support the weight of large material and also you can use multiple layers. We have 3 sizes: 32'x4.5'x3.5', 4'x2'x2', and 10'x2'x2'. Our primary use for these is bunker construction but they could be used for temporary bridge abbutments, or fixing roads after a mud slide etc.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back