Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Sampler Collection Vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEM1

Civil/Environmental
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am in the process of building a soil sampler to collect agronomic samples. The unit will use a one inch auger to pull the sample. What I am thinking about is a soil collection system using a vacuum similar to a woodshop dust collector. My plan is to run the auger through a temporary collection container then have to blower pull the sample into a cyclone. Cyclone opens and the sample drops into a bucket. My issue is, I have no idea how big a blower would be required to lift the soil approximately 10 feet into the cyclone. I would also like to run the blower with a hydraulic motor. Ay ideas on what is required to size the blower and the horsepower required to make this work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could likely experiment with a shop vac. Essentially it depends on the velocity of the air and the weight of what you're trying to move.

Cyclones don't need to open up to drop the materials. They are designed to discharge the solids on a continuous basis. The HP depends on how much mass and how cohesive the soil is and that will greatly depend on exactly where you are sampling.

Just a chain drive with small buckets to carry soil might be a superior collection system.

Attached is my current setup. I can't see how chain buckets would work. I like the idea, just don't see how to make it work with a setup like this. What I was thinking is more like a blower setup on a grain air cart. Blowing air in onside of the collection bucket and pulling out the other.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c4fbbd43-bde2-44f0-9c0b-ca186d77debb&file=IMG_20191028_160620_01.jpg
That's an interesting rig you have there! I assume you are emptying the buckets manually now? Are you keeping samples separate to generate maps or combining several samples for an average?

Losing some material might be a problem using air if it's dusty. I can see a central vac type setup working, suction on one side of the box and direct the discharge from the vacuum on the other side of the box. The problem is you have to open the vacuum to retrieve the sample, or make a trap door on the bottom, which is kind of what your suggesting.

Could you modify the collection box into an auger boot and just use a small auger?

There are other automated soil sampling units out there, have you looked at them?

diyfarmer: Yes, buckets are emptied manually. They are kept separate because the state regulatory agency requires a 0-6" and a 6-24" sample but will accept a 0-6" for organic matter and phosphorus and a 0-24" for Nitrate. I'm currently building a new machine to take a 0-6" and 6-24" sample, hence the need to separate the sample. I'm not worried about losing some material during the collection process. We collect so much material that I have to mix every 5 samples take half of that, store it, collect 5 more, do the same thing and then mix the halves that are saved. On the 24" sample, it is not uncommon to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Now imagine trying to thoroughly mix that so you can fill a one pint bag, then the lab actually only analyzes about a thimble full. there is a lot of room for error. This is why I georeference my samples and go back to the same general locations every year. Right now the goal is to make the process faster using electronic valves and a collection system so everything can be run from the cab of the truck. It currently takes about an hour to pull 120 acres. That isn't bad, but when you consider how many fields I sample it takes about 3 months to get them all done. I've got the mechanics and hydraulics figured out, now I need to figure out the electronics to make the system work. I have no electronics experience so getting the encoders set up and a plc programmed is above my head. A small diameter auger would be fine, but the one I use now is only 1 inch. I haven't been able to find anything smaller diameter that can hold up to the constant use. They ones that I have seen tend to break rather easily.

I have looked at the automated systems, however, they don't go 24 inches deep so won't do me any good. AGRO has a great unit that is autonomous, built on a bobcat foundation. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend searching them on youtube. They are using a vacuum system on theirs. I'm sure it will work if the soil is dry, but I get into so clays that can be somewhat moist and clump together. This is the soil type I am concerned about.

Thanks for the discussion

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back