Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Stiffness and Anchor blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDawg

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2014
US
Hello all, I am modeling several PIG Traps of varying size and all require an anchor/thrust block prior to the pipeline leaving the ground. I have already modeled them, buried them, set up the fine meshes, and even gone through and re-calculated, by hand, the axial restraints and required anchor force to limit the movement of the system. My question is, can anyone briefly explain how to go from the axial soil restraint or required anchor force to the buried CAESAR model. This is my first time using CAESAR and have put in an anchor to read the forces, which came out as 1.6E6 pounds. This is not reasonable for actual construction so I am trying to set different forces in to see how the model responds, but again, if I begin just plugging in values, how do I take those and come up with an actual anchor size? I apologize if this isn't written well, I have been racking my brain for days on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am beginning to understand now how to translate the soil stiffness to real world values, as well as how to read the forces at the anchor point using displacements. Now my question is, and I would really appreciate any experienced input, for a 42" pipe buried 5 feet to top of pipe, operating at 120 degrees F, and 1440 PSIG, is a VAL of 393 feet sound right? That is the value CAESAR estimates, while my hand calculation produced a value of 1300 feet. The soil is a silty clay so the Su is rather low. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm simply trying to understand this before providing any conclusions on design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back