Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Structure Interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

adip

Geotechnical
Mar 27, 2003
ID
Hi,All

Iam Asking about " Soil-pile interaction and modelling spring(modulus subgrade reaction) for to calculation
pile groups

regards,

Adip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think Adip is looking for P-Y curves.

And here is my question.

Did anybody worked with P-Y curves to model in structural software the Pile foundations?
I am recently involved in Bridge design project where the client wants the pile foundations to be added in the model using lateral soil springs.

What you think? Any coments will be verry helpful.

Thanks in Advice.

ZMEI

OOPS forgot. :)

What you mean? Now I have a geotech draft report where the values for PHI and bulk density are provided based on the geotech contractors implementations of SPT values.

I was just wondering if I use these values and REeSE procedures the results may be not verry correct. Espesialy the subgrade modulus based on Relative density.( I am working with sands and driled piles)

Think I must ask the geotech company to provide presuremeter test results. Will it be much correct? I think yes.

The problem is that if I use the results provided (mean the values for phi and density)it will remove the geotech responsibility from the geotech contractor.

Also any advice of houw to determine the relative density from provided values of Bulk density.

The code for use in the design is AASHTO.

THANKS

ZMEI

Thanks,All your advice about "Soil pile interacrtion"

I have try calculation "lateral pile capacity"
with modelling spring "Hybrid method(p-y curve and winkler method)",
but can you give me examples case as consideration
(for Mr.ZMEI)

regards,
Adip

Okay, jdmm, you were right. (sigh) [dazed]

adip:
There are a lot of case studies in the literature - look at the reference list (that comes with the LPILE program.) I simply don't have the time - or space - to provide you with a full-blown problem example.

Are you a graduate student? Have you asked your professor or supervisor?

[pacman]

In practice, soil structure interaction is handled by modelling the soil as a spring system in the computer model. The Structural Engineer should not calculate these values, but require the Geotechnical Consultant to provide them.

In an onshore project, I find that it is best to ask the Geotechnical Engineer to provide "Coefficient of Subgrade Reactions in the horizontal and vertical directions", For an offshore project, Engineers are normally familiar with P-Y &Z-Y curves, which is normally provided in the Geotechnical Report.

Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure he meant t-z curves; if not, I'd like to know what references have used "Z-Y" curves.

Anyone interested in the subkect of pile behavior - lateral or axial - should refer to a book titled, Planning and Design of Fixed Offshore Platforms edited by Bramlette (Bram) McClelland and Michael D. (Mike) Reifel. Look in Part VI Pile Design for information on p-y and t-z curves. This Part also covers pile installation and driveability analyses.

This book is a must-have for any engineer involved in offshore platform design and construction; and a great reference for engineers involved in pile foundation design and construction in all environments.

[pacman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back