Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOIL TESTING METHOD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewardMM

Civil/Environmental
Mar 5, 2012
PH
Good day Geotechnical Engineers!

I would like to ask which SOIL TESTING METHOD is highly reliable for the Purpose of POWER SUBSTATION CONSTRUCTION?

Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Testing the soil for what purpose? Foundation support? Compaction? Resistivity? Chemistry? Environmental?

All of these have an effect on substation construction, so please make your question more pointed as to what you need.

Explain your position or job. Are you writing specifications? Is this "in general" or for a specific site?

Imagine you are in a doctor's office and you say: "I want some medical tests today, but which one is best?".

A plate load test, standard penetration testing or local knowledge by an experienced geotechnical engineer, assuming the bearing level is near the surface. If subsurface, then standard penetration testing or cone penetrometer would be appropriate.

I agree with Ron. My other advice is to carry out boring or trial pitting to at least 3m depth for profiling and soil sampling, carry out classification tests such as sieve analysis, Atterberg limits. Soil profiling, Soil classification tests and insitu tests recommended by Ron, you can use those data to estimate conservatively an allowable bearing pressure at different depths. There are many standard or soil mechanics books which give allowable bearing pressure for every type of soil encountered on site. The one i like to use is British Standard Code of Practice for Foundations -BS8004: 1986).

Hi guys,

I have been assigned to perform a series of Lefranc tests down a borehole. I have never come across such a term but assume it is either a constant or falling head test. any ideas on how to perform the test (standards?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back