Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solar screens vs. Window tinting: Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgatica

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2000
US
I am researching the effectiveness of solar screens versus solar window tinting. I have heard convincing arguments from both sides (both are companies that sell these products). Their application will be in central Texas.

I would like a more objective analysis and suggestions. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'm assuming that screens mean some contraption outside the window with a bit of free space between window and screen and tinting means applying a coating on the window's glass (i'm no native english speaker...)
if that is so, i would - out of personal experience - strongly advise to go for the tinted window. this comes from the following:

1. works better. i can't give any numbers (i never measured the difference) but it's cooler with tinted windows. this is for residential use, i have to add.

2. no loss of sight. for the screens to be effective, the window needs to be covered completely, or at least as far as there is direct sunlight. it's not really something important, but i prefer to see whats going on outside over seeing some grey screen.

3. less maintenance. with tinted windows, there's no additional moving parts, no additional power consumption (although that is probably negligible). and with screens, the need to clean windows doesn't diminish noticeably.

this is, as i mentioned, my personal experience with both systems in residential housing (my own flat). hope that helps,
chris

Just thought I add this to phex's comments:
Before the advent of air conditioning on a large scale, there used to be solar screens which were essentially micro Venetian blinds stamped out of sheet metal. The flat part was angled such that you can see out the window horizontaly or downward, but sunshine from an elevation grater than about 40 deg from the horizontal would be blocked. These were installed outside on the windows in the Dallas-FtWorth Airport. The problem of course is that they can be damaged easily by hail, birds, etc., but they do keep out the sun for a good part of the day, particularly on the south side. Unfortunatately I have not seen them on the market lately.

Tgatica
From personal experience, I disagree with the comments made by phex. Having lived in hot climates most of my life (Australia, Saudi, Kuwait) I prefer any method whereby the sun's rays are prevented from striking glass. This is mainly because you can't get any heat transfer that way.
Also, if you properly angle outside blinds, as engtipsgrunter alludes to, and correctly size overhanging eaves you get a situation where winter sun can enter the house and summer sun is excluded. This is a sound "passive solar" principal.
If you use this in conjunction with double glazed windows, you would be amazed at the results

dadfap

There are several vendors of solar screens in the US, and they have wide applicability in areas such as Phoenix Arizona and other desert areas. They advertize 90% prevention of incoming solar energy. These screens can be fabricated and moounted onto the outer window exactly as normal insect screens.

If I was payinig for air conditioning and could not add an overhang , then I would go with the solar screens. There is probably available lab test reports on these , and I would not be suprises in the state building codes require them for new houses in hot climates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back