SOLAR THERMAL TANK DESIGN ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPLBPL

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2007
US
Hi all,
I'm designing a Solar domestic hot water system consisting of solar collectors, 2 flat-plate heat-exchangers and a 3,000 gal tank which stores the hot water from the collectors.
The link below has the simple design layout and other details. Further discussion below are based on this attached drawing.

I want the temperature of the hotwater being drawn from point_B in the tank to be close to 140F. My design is based on the assumption that the hottest water(140F) in the tank will be at the top of the tank - close to point_A.
My justifications are i)less dense hot water will always be on the top and ii) there'll be thermal stratification i.e., hotwater(140F) at the tank top will not mix with the cold water(80F) at the tank bottom because of the large size of the tank).

Will this design work? My design would fail if the cold water at the tank bottom mixes with the hot water inputted from point_A. I guess this is unlikely to happen solely by natural convection within the tank.

Sorry about the length of the post. Please post your comments/suggestions. Thank you very much.
Baggi
===========
Storage Tank dimensions: 16' long, 4.5' dia approx, ~3000gal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back