Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soldier Pile with precast concrete lagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

laziko1061

Structural
Aug 10, 2012
US
Hi All,

I am trying to design 10' soldier pile with precast concrete lagging.

where can I find design example?

Is there any catalog for precast concrete lagging?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design information can be found in AASHTO's bridge design manuals, in FHWA's Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 4, in Robert Ratay's Temporary Structures In Construction, 3rd edition (Chapter 7). and many other books. I do not know of any catalogs for precast lagging. Determine the load on the lagging and do standard, reinforced concrete design.

Remember, precast concrete lagging needs to be installed (stacked) from the bottom up, not from the top down as for timber lagging. Therefore, the excavation behind the wall needs to be a safely sloped open cut in order to stack the lagging from the bottom up. Or, the wall needs to be built from the top down, in lifts of about 5' maximum, using timber lagging and the precast lagging gets installed later, after the wall is at it full height. If you don't understand what I have said, you need to talk to someone with more experience with non-gravity, soldier beam retaining walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back