Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sole drafter for 12 years, no degree... Any chance at another job? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMatt

Electrical
Nov 25, 2003
US
I took a job working in production right out of high school for a small mfg. company where I was transitioned into their Drafter position due to my computer skills (at the time). Since then I have standardized their mechanical and electrical documentation, converted 99% of their electro-mechanical assemblies to Solidworks using sheet-metal design and routing plugins, etc... I know AutoCad (v11,13,2000,2002,2004), Solidworks (2001+,2003,2005,2006,PhotoWorks,Routing).

Basically I've been all this company has needed for 12 years. I feel very competent because of that experience and from doing several contract jobs varying from weldment documentation to ammonia-refrigerant plant layouts.

I'm being forced out of my job (by September) due to their unwillingness to allow me more flexible hours while I finish my degree in Graphic Design (which I also provide to them under the umbrella of Drafting). I made every attempt to assure them that they would get their 40 hours no matter what, and still no-go.

What I'm wondering is... Do I have any real chance of getting hired at a competitive wage vs. some schmoe with a 2-year tech degree? Many ads say that this minimal amount of training is "required", but I find it hard to believe that after well over a decade of real-world experience I'm not qualified.

Matt
Electro Industries, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience with draftsmen has been that it's roughly 1/3 drafting knowledge, 1/3 software knowledge, 1/3 product knowledge. If you find someone doing the same kind of product you were doing before, you should be way ahead of anyone else.

I've been using AutoCAD a good bit for maybe 5 years- and I'm still learning. You can learn all the basic ommands in a hurry, but efficiently doing a good job just takes a lot of experience.

Matt,

You have a far greater chance of getting flexible hours in a contract situation. I would sign up with a reputable contract design house, and let them work to place you into an optimal situation. Then, once you graduate, you can search for a position in your new field, while still doing contract work. Just for fun, you could even ask your existing employer if they would like to hire you back in through the contract house to do the same job for a lot more money! <lol>

BTW, Your current employer is effectively doing you a favor, by showing their true colors. It sounds like they would chain you to that same desk, doing the same thing, until you keel over for good, or retire. I applaud your effort in wanting to increase your skills, and pursuing your dreams. I don't have a need for a draftsman/designer at the moment, but you are exactly the type of person I would hire if I did!

-Tony Staples

Matt,

To join in with others....

1. Portfolios are not the most important thing in an interview, to me they are no more than a visual aid and most interviewers are not that interested in them. (Too easy to be blinded by the pretty pictures). I have always found it difficult to get that sort of info out of previous employers since I am a contracter.

2. 12 years experience is a good thing. No potential employer will turn their nose up at that, but they will be curious as to why you have never moved company before. BE PREPARED FOR THAT QUESTION IN AN INTERVIEW. They will also be very curious as to why you are leaving now. I wouldn't tell them the truth on this one, try to make it sound like you have decided that you want to go.

Good luck

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back