Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid 45 vs solid 185

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel08

Bioengineer
Sep 24, 2008
AU
Hello,
could anyone tell me the main difference between solid45 and solid185, and when you would choose one over the other. Would you get the same results no matter which element you used??
thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I am also interested in this question. Although I don't know the exact details, if you look in the manual section 2.17 "Legacy vs Current Elements" it gives an outline of the general differences between "current technology" and legacy elements. It seems that you can approximate (replicate?) the behaviour of solid45 by using solid185 with certain keyopts.

I think the short answer is that solid185 should produce more accurate results, and has more bells and whistles. However probably for simple analyses the results should be pretty much the same. The manual still recommends that you use the current-tech elements though.

Thanks!!
Yeah, i've been reading a bit and that's my understanding too. From my analysis the results seem better with solid185 so I guess I'll stick to using that one.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back