Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge crashing laptop - display driver issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonGD

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2004
GB
Hi folks,

I have a new laptop and all seemed well but when using Solid Edge I am getting random (every couple of days or so) blue screen of deaths and the computer reboots. Apparently it has to do a physical memory dump??

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

A suggestion made here has been that it could be an issue with my display driver settings - an Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics card or at least a combination of that and what is being requested of it by SE.

Any clues on optimal settings for this graphics card / for SE to suit this graphics card?

Thanks

Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JonGD,

This is not an answer to your question, just a more general comment.

If you read the Readme.txt of many graphic intensive software (Games, 3D-Cad, etc.), there's a list of supported graphics card, and most of the time there's a warning that although these cards are supported, their laptop equivalent might not.

I know my nVidia 6xxx in my laptop is very fussy with witch driver it wants to boot SE with.

If it has something to do with memory dumping, you might want to check out your task manager's performance tab and see how your paging is doing. It might also be a problem with faulty ram. If you have multiple sticks (ex: 2 sticks of 1Gig each), try running it with only one stick. Although your computer might run slower, you might be able to figure out if you have a bad memory stick.

Hope this helps, or is enaugh contribution to get the discussion going!

Cheers,
Martin

In a part file Tools>Options>View>Application Settings.
Try Automatic Settings first.
If no good unchek Automatic and go through the ther options.
In my experience "Backing Store" has been the one to use for non-cad graphics cards.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Jon
To my knowledge the NVS is the 2D apps card in the Quadro range - you really need the FX to run 3D.
I would have been more surprised if you COULD run SE on this card as opposed to couldn't. Probably not what you want to hear though.
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back