Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge files to a format useable by Adobe Illustrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eileneh

Electrical
Oct 10, 2002
US
(I'm a Tech. Writer... not a Mechanical Designer...)

Has anyone had any experiance with converting Solid Edge files to a vector format useable by Adobe Illustrator?

Here's my problem... we've tried converting Solid Edge files to AutoCAD R 14... when I try to open the DWG file in Illustrator, either the file is 'corrupt' and Illustrator can't open it, or curved lines either go missing, or are converted to circular objects.

I've never had a problem working with native AutoCAD files in Illustrator... so I don't know what Solid Edge is doing that might be causing the problem.

Any help would be wonderful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Illustrator V9 to create silkscreen artwork
for use on sheetmetal parts, I've never had a problem
saving Solid Edge Files as DXF or DWG files and reading
them into illustrator, apart from the fact that illustrator
does a poor job of scaling the file correctly.
I've been using a third party product called "CADGate"
which is an illustrator plugin and reads and writes
Autocad DXF & DWG formats and does a far superior job
than the built in translator provided by illustrator.

Have you tried writing a different dxf/dwg format out
of Solid Edge? I've been using V14.

I tried AutoCAD 2000... but that didn't want to open in Illustrator at all. I had some luck with AutoCAD R14... but most of the time I'm still having some sort of dire problem with the file... won't open, bad curved lines, missing pieces, etc.

This CADgate program looks interesting. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Eilene

I'M NOT FAMILAR WITH ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR , BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A PROGRAM TO CONVERT SOLID EDGE V12 TO ADOBE PDF. FILES
SO I CAN EMAIL DWG. TO CUSTOMERS WITHOUT CAD SOFTWARE TO OPEN AND VIEW.

Eilenah,

We use Illustrator here to make thread-up diagrams for our manufacturing process. Our conversion takes a few steps:

1. Save your Solid Edge draft as a .dwg file.
2. Open it with Acad 14 or 2000 and export it as a .eps file. This type of file seemed to work best for us.
3. Import the .eps file into illustrator and verify scale.

I personally have never tried to import a part fiels or image. Hopefully this answers your question.

DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back