Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid edge sketching error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlesher

Electrical
Sep 13, 2011
US
I'm running solid edge version st2 (102) on windows xp. I started making a sketch in a par file, and found that an error displays next to that sketch in the pathfinder(red exclamation mark). The text of the error is "Internal Error: The feature generated results in a geometry condition that is not supported by the system." To create this sketch, I copied outlines from an assembly file, and pasted them into this sketch in a par file. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you post an image of the sketch?
Could be ovelapping lines or something like that.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Yea, I think it was overlapping lines in the sketch. Why does it care if the lines overlap? Even if I convert the lines to construction lines, if they overlap, I get this error. Overlapping lines is sort of a common thing to have in sketches. What do I do instead?

It cares in the same way as all other 3D cad systems - how would it decide which line or line segment to use if they overlap ?

In 2D drafting it doesn't matter - and from what I've seen over the years many 2D draftsmen don't care either if there are overlapping lines.

Overlapping or crossing of lines is allowed in some special cases in a sketch (eg draw 2 overlapping circles and you can extrude them both at the same time), but generally try to avoid it.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

The lines that were overlapping were construction lines. In other words, those lines were never meant to be extruded or built, they were just for checking the distances between things. Isn't that the point of converting regular lines to construction lines?

Yes it is, which makes me suspect something else may be in there.
Can you post file with the sketch?

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

It sometimes doesn't like multiple (more than 2) lines 'connected' at the same point, even if construction.

Not entirely sure why, but could that be it?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back