Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge ST2 Excel Link for Synchronous Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

olynyk

Mechanical
May 25, 2005
CA
The instructions for linking a Solid Edge part to an Excel sheet (so that I can dynamically drive dimensions in the part from the Excel sheet) don't seem to work for Synchronous Part in ST2.

Is there a way to make this work for Sync parts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you look closely at the variable table, there is a column named Value.
At the right side of the variables that are dimensions, there is a lock tab.
This must be selected, and show locked in order to drive the dims via an excel worksheet.
Then, click on the cell in the excel worksheet that has the value you wish to drive a variable with and select copy.
Move back to the variable table, and right click on the formula cell for the variable you wish to drive, and select paste link.

I use it in history based quite a bit, and just tried it in syncronous, and it worked fine.

-av8errr
Solid Edge ST3 MP9
HP Z400 W3565 @3.00GHz
Win XP X64
15GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Hi av8errr, thanks for your reply. I tried to look for the "lock tab" in the variables table that you point out, but I don't see it. I've attached a screenshot of the variables table and my part -- perhaps you could point out what you're talking about?

If I am unable to drive dimensions from Excel, I would at least like to drive them from the Solid Edge variables table.

I should also note that this is an academic license of ST2 (I work at a university lab); perhaps that explains it?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~revolution/linked_variables_synchronous_screenshot.png
Addendum: Perhaps this is a feature that was not implemented in ST2 but was implemented for ST3? I see you are using ST3.

From your screen shot, it appears that all of your dims are driven.
Outside of the variable table, and in the model....try to click on a dim.
A window should appear that you can type a dim into.
Adjacent to the field is a lock, which will appear unlocked.
Click on it, so that the dim is locked, or driving.
Now check your variable table, and past the link of the correct cell from your excel document.

-av8errr
Solid Edge ST3 MP9
HP Z400 W3565 @3.00GHz
Win XP X64
15GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Oh, perfect. That works. Thanks very much!

(You'd think Siemens could write this into the help file! It looks like the help file was written for history-based modelling, since it doesn't mention anything about having to lock the dimension before being able to use variables to control it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back