Status
Not open for further replies.

lastoneleftSE

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2014
BE
Hello,

Can someone test something for me?

in an assembly the first part is basicly grounded(with ground constraint), that basicly means you cant move it because its fully constraint, now with ST7 i can move this so i think there is a problem with ST7 because according to me this shouldn't happen(or else the grounded constraint has no use). i want to know if the same happens with ST6.

just make a 1 part assembly and try to move the part with steering wheel.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It was the same in ST6. And according to help documentation, I would suggest that this is intentionally:
As a component is moved, relationships that would normally prohibit movement with a fixed offset in a given direction behave as if they are floating offsets. The offset value is changed updated to a new value after the move is finished.

I guess, that the ground relationship is in the same context as this fixed/floating offset.

thank you for your reply, once you have moved it, I wonder how you can get it back to the same position as it was in a easy way( hard way is putting 3 mate constraints the planes of the part and base coordinate and then deleting them and then put a ground constraint again.)it's not a disaster but it is a shock to people that didn't know(like me).

There is a big difference between "Move Components" (and "Steering Wheel" move) and "Drag Components".

Move Components will make the move and violate any constraints to accomplish this. It is an assembly build tool used to construct the assembly. The Steering Wheel move also does this, but I believe an added benefit is that it will re-establish those constraints that it had to violate if it is logically possible. These tools can also copy the selected components to a new location.

Drag Components will also move components but it will honor all relationships including the Ground. There is an option to allow grounded parts to be selected, but it only overrides the ground on the component that what was directly selected using this option.

Ken G.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back