Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge stops responding when Parts Library is clicked in .asm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickbird

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2009
US
Right after I click on the parts library icon while I am in a fresh assembly, Solid Edge stops responding. It did this when I was running SE on windows 7 beta and still does this on the full release professional version. I am still using windows 7 and have changed the compatibility to Windows Vista and have gone into each application in the file locations to run as administrator and compatibility with vista. I have installed and reinstalled SE v20 three (3) times now and still the same problem. My computer meets the system requirements and SE worked perfectly when I had vista on this computer. I have saved the parts on a flash drive and opened them on another computer with SE v20 on it at work and they open fine. I make an assembly on that computer with the same parts and it works fine. Then I open the assembly and modify parts on my personal computer and it works just fine. But when I click on that blue icon to import more parts..BAM.. it freezes again. There is nothing like this problem that I have found anywhere so that makes me think that it has something to do with my install of windows 7. What should I do now?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry to be blunt, but Siemens SE V20 does not support Windows 7.

Win 7 Prof does have a XP emulation mode have you tried running using this?

According to their website

"The current release of Solid Edge with Synchronous Technology has been certified to run on the following:

* Windows XP Professional operating system (32-bit or 64-bit)
* Windows Vista Business or Vista Enterprise operating system (32-bit or 64-bit)
* Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit and 64-bit). Requires Solid Edge ST2 MP1 (102.00.01.004) or later If possible
* Internet Explorer 7.0 (IE 6.0 minimum)".

it should run on windows 7 prof. We run SE ST v20 on our work computers right now and they have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and they work just fine. Their compatibility mode is windows vista as well.

SE V20 is not ST2. ST2 would have been V22 if they hadn't changed the naming.

Which are you running since in your OP you clearly state V20.

We had no end of trouble with parts library and gave up on it in the end - not sure if at V19 or 20.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Have you tried installing ST2 with the Win7 UAC switched off.
This has caused issues in the past and the recommendation is to have it turned off.

Also ST2 did not properly support Win7 until one of the Maintenance Packs (1 or 2 I can't remember) so make sure you have the latest MP installed too.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

I haven't tried disabling UAC but I have looked at my event viewer and error 1002 shows up. here is the general details

The program Edge.exe version 102.0.0.116 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 778
Start Time: 01cb29319fcf4aff
Termination Time: 16
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST2\Program\Edge.exe
Report Id:

So I am thinking this is more a windows problem than a SE problem. I am thinking about formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7.

Good to know. I reinstalled SE while UAC Was switched off and the same problem persisted. I am able to design parts and assemble them on a different computer then save the assembly and open that assembly on my personal computer but right when i click on the parts library icon, SE stops responding. When it stops responding i check the time and in the event viewer there is an application hang at the same time. Its error code is in previous posts. Is it possible that when I installed Win7 Beta then a while later installed Win7 professional there is something that causes this application hang?

To clear this up, is it when you click on the Parts Library Tab?..... Nothing to do with standard parts or machinery library?

If so its not that the Parts Library is looking into a network folder or somethething similar that no longer exists.
I have seen this cause long timeouts in certain situations. But never a complete hang.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

I have installed and reinstalled SE ST2 4 times now. The first two installs allowed me to click on the parts library icon and allowed me to search any folder or USB drive. When I clicked on the individual part I wanted to upload then it would freeze the program. I cant even open the parts included in the training folder located in program files of ST2. These last two installs have changed things again, so now just clicking on the parts library icon it freezes. Basically its gotten worse. Does that help clarify things a little?

Well I tried to run setup instead of autorun and windows explorer stopped responding. I'm going to have some IT guys look at it since im at the end of my abilities here.

I have also the same problem and tried to resolve it by removing and reinstalling SE ST2 but this didn't help at all. I also called my reseller and they told me that I would need to update my video drivers. This is somehow a problem since I am already using the latest version. I will now wait until ST3 and try again, lossing to much time with this problem!!!

There is also a remote possibility that another program running can cause a conflict. I use the "Maxthon" browser and on some occasions I have to close it down while using SE or else I can have a complete freeze of all activity sometimes so bad that I have to just use task manager and close it all out. So at the first sign of trouble now the browser is closed. It is an intermitant problem and I am not sure of the exact trigger I just know what stops the problem.

I decided to format my hard drive and reinstall win 7 but now i cannot boot up except in safe mode. I must have some hardware issues so that's what's being resolved now.

Also, another note. You should right click on Setup.exe and choose "Run as Administrator" when installing Solid Edge. GTAC's recommendations for both Solid Edge and Maintenance Patch Install is:

- Turn OFF UAC
- Right click on SETUP and choose "Run as Administrator"

UAC can be turned back on after install, but should be turned back off when you perform an uninstall.

Ken G.

I met the same problem and found a simple solution to avoid this:
Right click on Part Library background area (not on the file names),
then choose Preview from a drop-down menu.
Switch preview format from interactive to bitmap.

I to am having problems with ST3, when I place a hole in a sheet metal part, the things jumps to movie mode in stead of path finder and deletes the hole sequence. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back