Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid elements with rotational dofs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmfg

Structural
Mar 6, 2003
US
Does anybody know a paper or location in the web where I could find the formulation for a FEM solid element with 6 dof per node?

Thanks,

CMFG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CORUS:

Some solid elements do have 6 dofs like Solid73 implemented by ANSYS. I am looking for the shape funtions of this element.

CMFG

There is no such element in the latest ver of ANSYS - it was removed with its tetrahedral counterpart (solid72) from v5.7 (approx) onwards I think due to efficiency (too many DOFs i.e. 48 DOF per element!) and element-coupling errors (erroneous results even with consistent DOF). Shells and beams NEED 6 DOF, as mentioned above, and implementing a 6 DOF element would be wasteful, frankly. RIP solid72/3.

Correct my wording slightly: shells do not necessarily NEED 6, some shells only have 5 DOF etc. which give reduced runtimes.

Cheers,

-- drej --

Drej:

I am no specifically looking for that element (SOLID73), which I also heard that performed very badly, but any solid element that permits using shells, beams, and solids all together.

CMFG

You can use all the standard solids together with shells, beams etc. but you need to write constraint equations to tie the DOF together. If you use ANSYS use the CE command to do this, otherwise check the literature for ways of writing these (*EQUATION etc. for example in ABAQUS).

-- drej --

A number of solid element formulations with rotational DOFs exist and have been proposed over the years.

Cmfg, this paper might help:

"Hybrid stress tetrahedral elements with Allman's rotational D.O.F.s", K. Y. Sze, Y. S. Pan
You can find it in the International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back