Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid from surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPowers2

Aerospace
May 8, 2003
GB
People,

am guessing this is going to be 'simple'
using NX7.5 ... can someone share the process from taking a complex shell and making it a solid ...

many thanks .... just the commands I should be looking for would be a good start

regards ... gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look into synchronous modeling, copy face feature. Then use mesh surface to close it, and sew it all together?

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3
Win 7 64 bit

There's no quick, one-hit button for this, as it depends on the geometry and circumstances. In general, you need to use Analysis > Examine Geometry to determine any openings in the body, fill those surfaces manually, then sew it all together.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

thanks for the heads up.
I now have what I consider to be a 'sewn-up' volume, would I have expected it to have become
a solid body on completion or is there a further discrete command that says make this volume a solid

regards

There are at least 2 things that may prevent a sewing operation to produce a solid body:
[ol 1]
[li]there may be gaps between edges that are not easily visible but are larger than the modeling/sew tolerance[/li]
[li]the original sew operation had gaps/holes which you later filled in and added by editing the existing sew operation[/li]
[/ol]

In the case of (1), you can use the 'examine geometry' command to help find 'sheet boundaries'.
In the case of (2), a sew operation that creates a sheet body cannot be later edited to create a solid body. If the original sew had gaps/holes, simply create another sew feature to add the necessary sheets and it will create a solid.

www.nxjournaling.com

You can do any of the following:

1. Hover your mouse over the body until you see 3 dots next to your cursor (...) then select the body and there should be a small box pop up called Quick Pick with a listing of features and geometry. See if Solid Body is in there somewhere. If it is, you've successfully sewn the sheets into a solid. If not, then you need to delete the Sew feature, find where the gap is at, repair it and recreate the Sew. See #3 for some tips on checking for a successful Sew into a solid.

2. Set your Preselection Type to Solid and hover your mouse over the body - if it highlights, you have a solid.

3. Delete your Sew feature and pay close attention to your Cue/Status line as well as the graphical feedback as you recreate the Sew. Any unjoined edges will highlight in red after you press OK/Apply. The Cue/Status line will flash something to the effect of "Solid Body created" very quickly.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 8.0.3.4
Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back