Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Modeling....Need computer buying advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry1492

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2005
US
I've been moved to a new group where I work and don't have a computer. My boss said to find one less than $5,000 and he'll buy it.......and pretty much left it at that. I've never spent more than $600 on a machine, so I'm kinda in the dark and he's not one to be bombarded with questions.

So, the best I can tell, I'll be working with Solid Works, ProE, Catilia (sp?), and some other solid modeling programs. In addition, we do R&D and take alot of photos. I know that the few guys who work on this stuff don't do it on their own machines because they are too slow and prefer to use some in another office.

Anyway, what kind of stuff should I look for and, even better, specificaly what do you reccomend I get and where?

Thanks alot - Barry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

wait I think I know what the problem is, I am currently connected into my work pc (the one with solidworks installed) via LogMeIn, and I think when you do that, LogMeIn uses it's own graphics driver or something to speed up the remote access...so that's why the option isn't there. I also noticed the 'Software OpenGL' option was checked and grayed out, so I know it's something to do with LogMeIn... when I get back to the work pc in person, I will try it again and bet it works then..

but wow, once installing this quadro fx 1000 card, the models look soooo much better now, the lines are not choppy or jagged, they are totally smooth and the parts themselves have much better color, reflections, etc. to them. It's like the quadro card did somethign to significantly enhance the lighting scheme in solidworks or something, it's definately a world of difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back