Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Steel Alloy for DC application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMotorGuy

Electrical
Jun 9, 2014
US
Hi all:

I need a steel material for a DC application, thus saturation level is all I care about. After reading several threads I came to the conclusion that nickle-iron is first choice if cost is not taken into account. Pure-iron seems a good choice too. However nickle-iron steels I could find on cartech's site all have a lamination thickness in the catalog. I would presume a solid pure-iron core is possible. I am wondering if I can actually get a solid nickle-iron core.

We are talking about a solid C-core with 100mm*100mm*50mm dimension. Quite large, I know :)

I am new to alloy materiel. Any help you guys send my way will be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry a typo. Should be cobalt-iron like Hiperco® Alloy 27 rather than nickle.

Cartech supplies Hperco 27 and Hyperco 50A BAR product. They also make pure iron (electrical iron) bar form. The key issue is your quantity.

Vacuumschmelze is another iron-cobalt manufacture:

There are several other electrical iron manufactures like CMI but if you are just looking for peak flux density there is little point in going with the ultra low carbon products. The pure irons will get you low Hc but the difference in Bsat between them and 1006 is nearly nil.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

@MagBen Thanks for the information. Could you elaborate on "key issue is quantity"? I intended to get 4 bars and manufacture a c-core.

@dgallup I will have DC in c-core, the m.m.f. drop will be in the air gap anyway regardless of core permeability (as long as it is much larger than vacuum, which seems not a problem for any steel). So yeah, Bsat is the main quality I am looking for. Thanks for the recommendation. So generally, does is sound feasible that I purchase electrical steel bars with dimensions mentioned above, send them to workshop and manufacture a C-core?

Couple of pcs are only a very samll amount of material, no idea if Cartech is willing to sell

As dgallup said, in straight DC (no residual field concerns) you had might as well go with a low C steel. 1002-1006 in the annealed condition will get you very close.
We used to build large electromagnet yokes out of 1002 and then use CoFe for tapered pol pieces.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back