Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

solid works 2005 stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddub

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2004
CA
I have heard that Solid Works 2005 is very unstable. We are getting along with 2004 just fine. I am considering waiting for 2006 s.p. 1 . Has anyone else experienced problems with 2005.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Believe nothing of what you hear & only half of what you see!

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

See the posts regarding best practices when using SW and also the increase in hardware requirements--it definitely takes more resources, but it's also more powerful. If your old system could barely handle SW 2004 without problems (which is hard to measure) it won't handle 2005 without an increase.

Do a search and you'll find lots in this forum about this issue.

For what it's worth, I've just completed a project with very heavy surfacing and other model features, "pushing" what SW can do. (One part had over 400 features of intense surface details.) Very stable, but my hardware can keep up. Also, I've been a user since 1997, so I'm familiar with practices that promote trouble-free usage.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

What I have observed with SW2005 is that it is more resource intensive than SW2004, as Theophilus said. Also, I have noticed that if SW2004 is uninstalled without also deleting or renaming the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks registry key, SW2005 ends up being very unstable. But otherwise, it's quite stable. Our "heavy duty" users have reported that 2005 is as stable as they have ever seen SolidWorks. There are some excellent articles in the FAQ section dealing with the right way to uninstall and upgrade SolidWorks.

Gildashard,

The official full rebuild time (as with a Ctrl-Q) was 89 seconds. It wasn't so bad when merely working on the part file from one feature to the next.

Check the FAQ areas as PDMAmin suggests. If you follow the guidelines (which is wise), you'll find SW stability to be just fine. Most of the models I work with (that I've received from others) are junk. These people should expect to have problems because of the poor logic inherently built into their part files. Often this isn't a sofware problem/limitation so much as a logic problem/limitation.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Since I have installed Service-Pack2.0 on all the systems here I haven't had a single crash myself and didn't get any complaints from co-workers. I have a feeling they finally did it ;)

Regards,

Bouke Brouwers
P4 2,8 2Gb RAM, Quadro FX 500
SW2005 SP2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back