Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid works and 12 gig of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAUER1

Mechanical
May 4, 2011
US
Is there anyway of unlocking the 12 gig of ram?
My computer is a xi with a zeon quad core fx 3800 video card 12 gig of ram windows vista 64 bit
the problem is rebuilds in a large assembly take forever. the largest assembly so far I have done is over 6000 parts with very few fastners. I do get running out of system resources when I hase parts along with the assembly open. also try and make a dwg for someone outside the company it may happen and it may not.
sw 2011 sp4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Firstly, more RAM does not necessarily make a system faster, but a faster CPU will.

What speed is the CPU?

How much RAM does the Task Manager report as being used?

How is the assembly assembled? Are you using sub-assemblies, or is everything in the top level? How many mates are being solved in the top level assembly? Are the parts complex? Define "forever" with regards to your rebuild time.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

try to get a SSD as your OS drive instead, first copy the project of interest into that drive then perform your regular duties. There will be huge ram consumption during file accessing, but consuming 12GB of ram would be uncommon.

try access your project in C:\ only and reduce the sub assmebly directories in the future.

CPU will make a computer go faster, but may not increase the file accessing speed. But a faster HDD will.

I am sorry it is 2011 sp3 not 4
cpu is a xeon w5580 3.2 gig
hard drice is a wd1500hlfs-01g6u0 10000 rpm
Yes there is sub assemblies in the main assembly
12278 on physicail ram in task manager

what is the system loading durning rebuild (when it takes for ever)? can you share with us the CPU and RAM loading?

if the rebuild takes too long, you might want to look at the sub files. the rebuild time can be affected if there are too many individual sub folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back