Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid92

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaRocker

Computer
Mar 8, 2007
DE
I get a .tet file created with AMIRA from a collegue.
ANSYS automatically chooses Element Type Solid92.
I want to put some Stress on the Strucure, but I can´t mesh it with Solid92 (Error message: Element type 1 is SOLID92, which cannot be used with AMES command. Meshing aborted.) and the Element Type can´t be changed.

Has anyone experience with imported files from AMIRA?
Is it possible to change the Element Type maybe in AMIRA?
I imported the file with 'Read input from'.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you opened the file and actually looked at what information amira outputs? Perhaps there is only one or two lines at the beginning of the file which need edited. If it's a large file you could write an APDL script to do the needed editing for you. It may be helpful if you posted a snippet of the file in order for us to be better able to help you.

-Brian

ah yes it´s in the beginning of the AMIRA file:
finish
/clear
/prep7
et,1,solid92
!**** Define Materials
!**** Material: 0 is Septum
mp,ex,1,1000
mp,nuxy,1,0.3
!***** Erzeugen der Knotennummern

There have been a question to reverse Engeneering before, when I still have Meshing problems I let u know.

THX
Daniel

Hi Daniel, I have written a code for converting the Amira output to Ansys input for large files. As you know, the generated elements in Amira (using Amira mesh) is tetrahedral ( 4 nodes-solid 45 in Ansys).
You have to import your volume elements in ANSYS as solid 45.
My suggestion is importing the generated surface in Ansys and then creating volume elements in Ansys as solid 92.
The better solution is changing the Amira output to Iges format using another software like Geomagic studio and importing the Iges file in Ansys.

Regards
Jalil

Some loose thought:

- What is defined in the .tet file? Is it a mesh, volumes, surfaces, combination of the three?

- Why you trying to mesh areas with solid elements? That would result in the error you reported.

- Looking at the lines of the AMIRA output file there's a line, "et,1,solid92", where the element type is defined as SOLID92: that, I think, is the reason Ansys 'automatically' choses that element for your mesh. If SOLID92 is not the element you want to be used, then I think the quickest way would be to simply edit the line above changing "solid92" to whatever element type you need (check the manual and of course choose an appropriate element)

Dear friends, as I know, Amira does not create any file for Ansys. These commands have somebody written after creating the Amira output.
Typical amira output is like the follow:

# AVS UCD file
# written by AMIRA on Mon Sep 18 14:10:27 2006
#
93764 524135 0 0 0 ! total number of nodes and elements
0 -2.428171 -7.105472 -90.198410 ! node number and coordination
1 -2.171232 -6.979727 -90.244781
2 -2.865613 -6.930188 -90.183395.
0 0 tet 5887 5936 5890 8871 ! element number and contacted nodes
1 0 tet 1351 1444 1446 8872
2 0 tet 5890 5887 8871 5851
3 0 tet 2517 2464 2466 8873
4 0 tet 430 433 574 8874
5 0 tet 2857 2856 2809 8875

Regards
Jalil

I changed it to solid185 and created some areas and two volumes. I added the Volumes binary and meshed it with only one warning. Finally I applied displacement and a load to the areas of the meshed volume.
After the Solution the Animation didn`t look very pretty, because the surface of the elements were above the mesh. Except in animation step 1.

In my first attempt (with element type solid92) I didn´t manage to add the volumes: is it possible I made them were just too weird or the Structure is too complex.

It`s just the nasal septum.(looks a bit like a fish to me)

It´s the very first attempt here to work with AMIRA and ANSYS, as far as she told me my colleague just exported the file.

Our project leader expected me to import the file via the IGES import function, but that doesn`t work with the .tet file.

I tried to mesh it earlier, cause it`s taking pretty long to even create all the areas not mentioning crating the volumes. Finally I was just curious, if the whole thing was working at all.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Daniel, just as a heads up I hope you didn't mesh it with degenerate SOLID185's. Otherwise the outcome could be overly stiff. Best bet for a tetra elements is SOLID187's.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back