Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidDesigner HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yochio

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2001
BR
Dears,

I've been asked to get informations about Hp SolidDesigner, but it has been difficult to find something of value at the web.
Could any one, who knows about this software, gives me more information about it?? Somethink like a comparison with pro/e, mechanical desktop and its cost.
Thanks in advance,
Yochio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, HP Solid Designer blows Pro-E away. Very powerful, easy to learn,
etc. Pro-E has too many clicks, too many pop-up menus, clutter, etc. The sketch
feature in Pro-E is rinky-dink. HP is intuitive.

I learned Pro-E in school, but now I use Solid Designer every day at work. I curse out this program and wish that my company had Pro-E very frequently. I don't think that it's as user friendly as Pro-E. Pro-E has "too many clicks" because they give you the option of doing what you want instead of Solid Designer where you have very limited methods. HP's Annotation Module (kind of like the Sketch feature in Pro-E) is very primative. It's an add on module that was not incorporated in the original program design. Relationship between the drawing and the solid model can be broken by mistake, drawings aren't automatically updated (when you know that a part has changed, you have to individully load each drawing and click update). What other kinds of things do you want to know about it?

Everybody has their opinion, of course. People have a tendency to like what they know best, as far as working is concerned.
That said, I don't think having a lot of options is always a good thing. Too many options can complicate the process. Too many pop-up menus, cluttered screen,
too many clicks,etc. (see Pro-e). I like the streamlined process of HP ME 30. I also worked with ME 10 (2D) for many years prior, so I had an initial familiarity with the system. You started with Pro-e, that's what you got used to and like best.
It can be frustrating changing jobs and having to learn a new CAD system. For me, CAD is a tool. My main focus is to design mechanical stuff, and spending a lot of time learning new systems can negatively affect our productivity. So, I'm waiting for the super user friendly system that takes about an hour an a half to get up to speed on. Then I can spend all my time building stuff, instead of fighting a balky computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back