Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidedge 2d Layer properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassalthoff

Mechanical
May 25, 2012
US
Hello,

I am an experienced autocad user, where layer utilization is key to our line of work. I am having difficulty utilizing the layers in Solidedge 2d. I need to have objects assigned on layers and color coded, so that I can easily recognize what is on each layer. However, I am only able to manually assign color to an object, which defeats the purpose of why I am using the layers. The help menu says that you can change the default attributes of a layer by right clicking on that layer, and selecting properties. An attributes dialog box pops up, but no instructions are provided on how it should be filled out.

Does someone know how to assign default properties to a layer, particularly the color, in Solidedge 2d?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It doesn't work like AutoCad - you can't automatically assign a particular linestyle etc to a layer.
What you can do is use 'smart select' to pick all the elements on a layer then change the properties.
Alternatively make the layer active then hide all the other layers and change the properties.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I find this incredible. We have the exact same problem, where after creating 2D drafts we use smartselect to put all balloons and dimensions in the correct layer. What a waste of time!

I don't find it incredible at all.
SE was never intended as a 2D drawing package and it probably isn't one that I'd choose to use as such.
It just happens that SE 2D is pretty competent as a stand-alone.
Having used it for so many years to create the drawing from 3d models, layers are not something I ever worry about. In fact I've been using Inventor for the last couple of months and all this element attributes "by-layer" stuff totally confuses and frustrates me - when I draw a line I want to choose the style, colour and thickness myself, not have it dotted,green,0.5mm just because I'm on layer 10.
I do use layers in SE when I draw-in-view, but only to put some elements (usually constraining dimensions) on the "Auto-Hide" layer.
Do you really need dimensions on a dfferent layer?
What purpose does it serve?
Is it just a hangover from early cad days when printing depended on the right pens assigned.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Well, we export all our dft's to dwg's and then send those to our suppliers for welding/cutting. If we save our dft as dwg, all balloons, dimensions and welding symbols are put into layer 0. This is of course the same layer as the outline of the product itself, making it harder to differentiate what all these fricking lines are supposed to represent.

So we use smartselect for dims, balloons and welding symbols to put them in a different layer before we export them to dwg.

As is usual with most problems, if you have a problem with something you're never the only one. ST4 is version, what, 20 or 21? They still don't think we need to export our drawings to dwg?

Conversions are always flakey, it's not just an SE thing.

I'd bee looking to send the drawing in pdf with a reference copy in dxf/dwg if they need to be able to import the geometry in 2D.

However, that's just me.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I can only suggest you put in an enhancement request.

I can remember when things like welding symbols didn't convert at all, or at least not to the correct thing due to differences in the fonts used on each system - which is why you should also send a pdf
Siemens have done a lot of work in this area and conversions have improved considerably in the last few years - saying that they still don't think you have to convert is just nonsense.

There is a simple solution though - Set up your layers and then change to the appropriate layer before adding your dimensions etc.
They will then be placed on that layer, and you can turn show/hide them as required.
I suspect what you want is to be able to force different types of elements onto there own layers.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I'm not sure about that one since I don't have a copy of SE on my laptop but I would think that you can tweak the options when you export your .dft to .dwg to mimicks the layers used in AutoCad. On the save as window when you select the .dwg format there should be an options button on the lower right side. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was there for ST2 so...

Another trick I used to do is go in "draw in view" mode to do the save as then you only have the part geometry that is exported. Then as other have said you can just send a .pdf for the dimensions and welding symbols.

Patrick

I appreciate the effort to suggest some work arounds, however, we deal with much more than dimensions and simple items. Layers are required for cutting machine definition, nesting software, etc, and the layer utilization has to be a seamless process where one can universally define the attributes of a layer for easy identification.

How would I submit an enhancement request?

If there are recommendations from members on how to word the enhancement request, please let me know. As enhancement requests will most likely only get noticed with multiple hits, so if we collectively submit similar requests, it just might get updated!

Thanks!

You could start by contacting the people who privide your support.
They might also be able to suggest ways to do what you want that we don't know about.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back