Solids Handling Capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSPUMP2

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2008
US
Hello,

Does anybody know the solids handling capacity of a typical centrifugal pump? I'm looking at using an ITT A-C Pump NSW for an application with 3-5% solids and for future reference I was wondering what solids capacity the typical two vane impellers lose their effectiveness.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Varies a lot with the type of centrifugal. Our "trash pumps" with recessed impellers can handle whatever the line size is (i.e. 3" line, up to 3" solids).
Now, the max amount of solids will be determined by the flow and carrying capacity. Some of our projects have had slurries (excess 35% solids but with small particle sizes). We were able to pump them.

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

You are asking 2 questions in one.
There is no typical solids handling capability for centrifugal pumps as it depends on pump design - it can range from zero to 14 inches or more.

The ITT AC NSW pump is a solids handling sewage pump - and will handle a lot more than 3 -5% of untreated sewage. To get full info' contact ITT AC pumps for all the detail you need.

As for efficiency - trying to pump solids thru a non solids handling pump with a rated efficiency of 85% will result in no output - therefore the overall efficiency is 0% - whereas a properly selected solids handling pump with a rated efficiency of 50% because it is capable of pumping the solids has a real output of 100%, therefore efficiency is a less important consideration when compared to capablility.

I gave Arisi a star for his comment. I have run across centrifugal pumps that could not handle 1/4" particles (actually, due to an internal heat exchanger that used process fluid to cool the bearings).

If you're trying to pump solids - or slurries - you need a pump that is designed specifically for that

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Agree with the point that it is to be designed specially, unless the solids referred are fe micron levels. Still end up in damaging the seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back