Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solids 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvonne

Industrial
Sep 14, 2002
GB
Hello
Is there any way to remake a solid back into a solid after I have exploded it.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Yvonne,

how do You explode a solid?

Lothar

Win NT4.0(SP6),2000(SP3)
AC 2000i(SP2), ADT 3.0(SP3),
AC 2002, ADT 3.3,
AC 2004, ADT 2004

Not sure how you would explode a solid ... except maybe flatten it by changing the thickness to ZERO.

If this is the case, then I would click the "PROPERTIES" icon and change the thickness to your desired height.

Hope that helps.
arch [angel]

Using the explode tool when drawing in 3D breaks the component into different lines what I want to know is there
a way to join them again
Thanks
Yvonne

About the best you can do (that I know of) is use one of the remaining cross-sections as a profile and extrude it along the path of one of the edges.

I do this, for example, when I've got a slot or bolt circle that I want to fill in.

Yes you can explode a solid. You get 2D surfaces. Do a list on one. That'll tell you everything you want to know. You can then explode the surface to individual lines.

BUT- NONE OF THIS HELPS ANSWER YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION.

No, there's no "Automatic Reconstruct" function for returning the lines to a solid. Sorry.

If you need to extract a shape from a solid, set it aside into its own seperate file, and explode it there, or if you've not done anything else, capture the exploded shape you needed with a copy-clip or cut, and use undo to return to the solid. The copy-clipped or cut shape is still on the clip board. Re-insert it by paste wherever you need it, including another solid you might have opened to receive the shape.

Good Luck.

Too late now, but for future reference...
Before I explode a solid, or extrude a complicated profile, I save a copy of it to a layer that I have simply called "Backup". This layer stays turned off, and If I need something, I just turn the "Backup" layer on, and reuse whatever I need. Once you explode or erase, and you close ACAD, it is pretty much lost for good. Sometimes I am able to recove an older automatic-save, and pull the parts out that I need.

Flores

cfee,
I thought that's what you get ... 2D surfaces.
From her post I though she meant they explode to simple lines like a broken wirframe.

If the 2D suface is correct, I thought you could just extrude the surface or increase the thickness which would mimick the extrude command.

Oh well. [yawn2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back