Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks 2006 Graphic Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkalinowsky

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2005
US
All,
I am building a home PC for home computing and gaming, and want to be able to run SolidWorks 2006 without too much trouble. I was wondering if anybody is running a eVGA 6800GT graphics card, and how it is working? I'll be using and AMD 3700 (939) processor, with the option to upgrade to 2x6900GT cards in the future. I know this isn't on the SolidWorks supported cards list, but as CAD is not the primary use of my PC I don't want to purchase a graphics card geared mainly towards CAD. I'll most likely only be working with relatively simple medium/larger sized assemblies (100 parts with 5-10 features each at most). Very little complex lofting, lighting, COSMOS, photoworks etc.

If anybody can offer any advice on the card, or suggest another gaming card (in the $300 range) that will handle simple solidworks, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jkalinowsky,

I know you mention above
know I can't have the best of both worlds, but I find it hard to believe that it is absolutely necessary to have one of the SW recommended cards, given all the cards out there.
But SW has a single mand that sits down and tests all video cards and their drivers and that's his only job function. To test video cards and drivers for the approved cards. With that in mind I have a lot of Trust in what SW post on the video card and drivers site.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I have hacked the BFG 6800GT AGP successfully to Quadro FX 4000 using Riva tuner. Also I dual boot my machine to Windows XP Pro - one for gaming as a 6800GT and the other for SolidWorks as a Quadro - best of both worlds. I haven't tried the PCI-e hack yet, but will be in the next few weeks. Check out - Riva Tuner forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back