Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2007 64 Vista 64 bit 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cylo

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
LB
Hi everyone. I am wondering if anyone else has tried this. I have successfully installed SolidWorks SP0 2007 64bit on Vista Ultimate 64Bit. I am running on a intel Quad Core 2.40 GHZ processor, 2gig of ram and nvidia geforce 8800 640 ram. All drivers are up to date. Solidworks is really slow causing glitches and stuttering on zooming using the scroll button, and when section viewing. I was wondering if anyone is having that problem. Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds to me like your install wasn't as successful as you thought.
From SolidWorks:
SolidWorks 2007 will not support the 64-bit Vista operating system. There is currently no commercial 64-bit version of Solidworks for Vista. Support for a 64-bit version on Vista will occur at a later date.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

Dump the Geforce video card and get your self a Quadro.
None of the Geforce cards are recommended for SW.

I'm not sure if the following FAQ is valid for X64 Vista but it's worth a try.
faq559-1058

[cheers]

Thank you so much CorBlimeyLimey, that faq that you gave me solved my problem!!!! :)

Its working perfectly now that i enabled OPENGL

Thanks again :)

That proves that it is the video card or its driver which was causing your original problem. Upgrading to an approved card and driver combination will improve performance. Using Software OpenGL diverts valuable processing resources which could be better used elsewhere.

[cheers]

I actually tried that too, running Vista 64 bit, with both SW2007 and 2008. But in my case (proper opengl video drivers, etc) hardware opengl did not work.

You can use the Microsoft ORCA tool to modify the .MSI file to allow installation on any OS.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

If you don't need to play games now, then sell the 8800 with 640MB ram as quick as you can. They just released a card (8800GT) in the $200-300 range with ~90% the performance of the top end card they make now. Does have less memory though, but it's smaller (1 slot), runs cooler and on less power. Hopefully they will make a lower priced Quadro out of that design.

Hi StefanHamminga, can u please explain how u got SW2008 to install on Vista 64bit. Im not being able to do it.

By the way is it running well on it? Do u have to enable open gl software like on 2007 to get better performance?

Thanks

I was able to successfully install SW 2008 on my Vista 64 system, but when I try to run the program it fails... StefanHamminga are you running SW x64 or x32? Or does anybody have an idea why it's not working for me, other than the fact that Vista 64 is not officially supported?

My system:
Windows Vista Business x64
2.66 Quad Core
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 4600

I tested my method on both Vista Ultimate x64 as Windows Server 2008 (32 bit) Beta. No problems running, just crap performance in Vista x64.

BTW, I did this for testing purpose only, I'm running an unpatched SolidWorks (32 bit currently) on Vista Ultimate SP1 (beta) 32-bit. And on another install I run SolidWorks x64 on Windows XP x64 SP2.

I can imagine why you would like to run Vista 64 (I would like to as well), but SW is just not ready yet...

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer
Searching Eng-Tips forums

I did not try out Stefan's patch because I didn't have any problems installing it (I installed SW08 x64). My problem occurs when I try to run the program, it won't start. But it looks like I'll have to just use XP x64 for the time being...

Guys just so u know, i got SW 2007 64 to work on Vista 64 ultimate, but i read somewhere that SW doesnt even really utilize multi threading, Just for hidden lines or something. So it might be even worth putting SW 64 on a 64 OS.

Multi-threading does not have really anything to do with 64-bit. Multi-threading is used with Dual or quad core machines. The only real advantage of 64-bit is the high amount of memory that can used on the 64-bit machines. 32-bit can only see up to 4GB and that's with the 3GB switch activated. with 64-bit I believe the limitation is 128GB of ram... but that number could be wrong, but I know that its so high it not feasible yet to worry about it.

Also even though you did get it to work if you have any problems with it... most likely it will be blamed on the OS your using.

regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I just wanted to mention that I tried Stefan's procedures using ORCA and have successfully installed 2008 x64 SP1.1 on Vista 64 business. I have only been using it for a few days, but so far everything seems to work well. Thanks Stefan for your suggestions!

Can any one explain how to do this for me? I checked the link of Stefan, but it doesn't seem to be working, and I need to get this working. I've only got 64-bit Vista, and can only get 2008 Solidworks, so without another investment (which I don't want since I'm just starting out) I'm screwed. Any help is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back