Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2007 cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArashIKamangir

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2007
IR
Hi
i use Solidworks 2007 at my office,but sometimes the CPU usage level jumps to 100% on one of the cores and remains 100% for some time (I'm using Dual core 3.4GHz). any one having the same problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arash

I have been battling this for weeks now. We switched to quad core cpu's and the new Nvidia Quadro 4600. Under normal operation I can be doing something as simple as spinning a part around for a better view. When out of nowhere the the cpu jumps to 25% (maxed out one core?) and I can do nothing with SW for 15-30 seconds. This happens every few minutes. I can get rid of the problem when in Software OpenGL mode, so I suspect the video driver, the Quadro 4600 is under it's first and only driver, so I'm sure it is nowhere near SW cert.

What is mind boggling is we have 6 identical machines and mine is the only one with this problem.

SW/PDM 06 4.0

Sorry to keep bringing this thread up to the top, but I figured out the answer to my problem. When I brought it up to my VAR, turns out this same thing has been causing them problems, like white/black screens and hangs. I had been running in software OpenGL mode, but the real culprit was Microsoft Intellipoint 6.1 for XP x64. As soon as I disabled the ipoint.exe process, my hangs went away.

Welcome back hardware acceleration and realview, goodbye extra mouse buttons.

Also I found out it's nearly impossible to submit a bug fix request to microsoft.

SW/PDM 06 5.1/5.0 x64

I had similar issues but not using SW, I just wonder if this is strictly a SW issue. You may want to consider these diagnostic steps.

In WinXP, I discovered that there is a documented bug (well, there's a bunch of 'em). An internal program 'svchost.exe' used to load & execute .dll executables went beserk and maxed out the CPU. PC locked up completely. On another PC I Googled for the answer and found out how to attack the problem. I finally figured out that during boot I could start Task Manager and watch the multiple 'svchost.exe' processes running. When one of them would start to spiral out of control (CPU usage => 100%), I'd kill that process. That allowed me to get the Microsoft Hotfix update.

TygerDawg

TTT :eek:)

I was having the same problems with my setup. I'm running winxp pro sp2.0 and SW 2006 Sp5.0. I disabled Ipoint.exe and all is fine. I had the same black and white frozen screen as was reported beforehand.

The slowness of SW on your machine is probably not mouse related. The iPoint problem causes freezes and hangs, not general slowness.

What are you system and network specs?
What other programs/processes are running?

You should probably start a new thread with the responses.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back