Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solidworks 2008 Command Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin8207

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2007
US
I just installed Solidworks 2008. I was customising the new "cool looking" command manager and noticed that i couldn't move the tool bar from the "top" of the screen to the "left side" of the screen. I could in 2007, and it would make things easier for me if i could setup 2008 the same way i had 2007 setup. Is there something i'm missing or is it not an option in 2008. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm the opposite, I lvoe teh command manager. Nut like you, Liked it on the side, not at the top. Please complain to your VAR to this ability back.

Jason

SolidWorks 2007 SP5.0
SolidWorks 2008 SP0.1
WinXp sp2 (32 and 64 bit)

Don't complain to your VAR about it, submit and (anti-)enhancement (it was, supposedly, an enhancement, right?) request to SW. There are a lot of people who don't like the "new" CM. I would think that if enough people submit requests, SW would change it...I think.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

Man....I musta been smokin something when I typed that. That's what I get for hitting submit without re-reading my post. And of course Eng-Tips not having an edit button so your mishaps are left permanant for all to see.

Not being able type doesn't help.

Jason

SolidWorks 2007 SP5.0
SolidWorks 2008 SP0.1

I am with Jason on this.. The CMD manager is sweet! I still have a couple of toolbars up, but I have full graphics space now and love the new look of the CMD manager. It's much better then last years Cmd manager. I will always use it. I can add all the icons I need or want into the CMD manager and not have to have "X" toolbars up to support all the icons that are available to us now a days.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I have to say with the release of 2008 I have converted away from Command Manager in favor of the S-key shortcut menu. I've found with a little customization I can do 95% of all my tool selections with it, and it's always near by.

Good call sessner!! I was going to comment, did anyone bother to actually read the what's new and discover the shortcut bar??? No more hunting around for toolbars or the command manager. Hit your S key and there's your context sensitive fully customizable toolbar right at your pointer. What could be better?

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
SW06
SW07
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100

Better yet, program the "S" key to yuor spaceball or mouse.

Jason

SolidWorks 2007 SP5.0
SolidWorks 2008 SP0.1

Like Scott and Jason - I like the command manager. I especially like in 2008 that you create your own custom tabs and put anything you like there. Whats got me anooyed though, is that when I do that the command manager turns off my custom tab and switches over to its smarty pants selection mode of bring up tools it thinks I need to do my job. This is supposed to be fix in SP 2. If it is, I will post a picture of my setup

The command manager would be a lot better if you could have two of the tabs active and have the tabs toggle several rows of command toolbars so sketch and feature tools could be both active simultaneously.

The ability to create your own Tab and name it is cool. because you can have a most used tab. Also the Shortcut Toolbar beats all others in my opinion because it shows at the cursor location and can be fully customized with different icons for Sketch, Part, Assembly, and Drawing. If you don't know what I'm talking about hit your "S" key.

Michael

In 2008, I had a single tab setup that contained everything I would need for working on parts. This included combinations of flyouts and other controls. I was able to eliminate all the tabs except for this custom one. The only problem is that the stupid command manager would turn off my custom tab when I started to sketch because it wanted to be smart and toggle the default sketch tab. Since I had turned this off, it would just show a blank command manager. I really liked my custom tab. Everything in one convenient place - and the combinations of flyouts for less frequently used commands really kept things clean and uncluttered.

But the custom tab is still there, right? The blank tab is just active at the time. You just have to click on the custom tab to get it back. I can see how that might be a pain, but at least it's not completely gone...at least on my system it's not.

ejc

ejc - you are correct - its just annoying in that it interupts you from what you are doing. Its not a complete showstopper - just another thing thats keeping me from rolling out 2008 to my company. 2007 is fine for now. I will wait until some issues get worked out with 2008.

I still say you're wasting your time with the command manager!! The shortcut bar is fully customizable...just like the command manager, but comes up right at the cursor location. Why would you use the command manager over the shortcut bar?

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 2g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back