Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2008 hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensai

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
GB
Hi,

We are upgrading to SW2008.

Therefore we are getting a hardware upgrade;

Core 2 6750
250GB SATA2
2GB 800Mhz RAM
Intel MOBO
ATI V3350 PCI-E
WINXP SP2

Still looking for a TFT Monitor, we have been using 21"CRTs,
need a 21" or 22" TFT (NOT WIDESCREEN) for under £200
Any suggestions on the monitor and hardware?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Monitor should be the least of your worries. SW08 does has not listed the certified cards yet on their site. Some cards this year that are supported are not supporting realview.

But I use a 20" wide at work and a 24" wide at home. I prefer the 24" wide myself... but if you want to keep cost down stay with a CRT.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I will always go with wide-screen.
Whatever monitor you go with, go with the fastest refresher rate (maybe 8) and the best video card you can afford (that's compatible with SolidWorks).

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

Kensai,
Measure your 21" crt and I think you will find that the viewing area is between 19 and 20". With this in mind unless you are looking for more viewing area you could get about the same area with the 19' to 20' LCD screen.
Viewing area for a crt is measured diffrent than an lcd screen

Dumb indeed, its only stretch if you choice a resolution that is not the correct aspect ratio.

I've seen users here with widescreens and stretched displays. I set it for them and they are like "Whoa, that's much better." Guess they never thought to complain.

Jason

SolidWorks 2007 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2008 SP0.0 on WinXP SP2

Things will appear stretched on a wide screen monitor if the video card is set to a resolution with a 4x3 aspect ratio. TFT monitors look best when they are run at their native resolution. Sometime you have to install the "driver" that came with the monitor to make the monitor's native resolution available.

Eric

The others are correct.
Combinations of video cards and monitors vary. You may need to adjust the resolution until it fits properly.
IT Managers normally don't know anything about CAD and will guess about how it works.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

This is beyond IT not knowing anything about CAD.....this IT manager isn't even aware of monitor resolution settings and aspect ratios. Not the first "manager" who doesn't know anything about the stuff he's suppossed to. Does he/she have pointy hair by chance?

Jason

SolidWorks 2007 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2008 SP0.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back