Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks 2008 Released 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is !!! Beta 3 became available on June 12th and was to last 2 weeks ... and I believe there's usually a Beta 4 ... and then a pre-release version.

I guess someone at SW can't count ... or has a very itchy trigger finger.

[cheers]

I was at the Houston users group meeting with Jeff Ray (Solidworks COO) and all he said is that they will start shipping 2008 this summer. I also saw it in use for the first time and am happy with the improvements.

BTW Jeff is a very good speaker and was very forthcoming with all of the questions that he was asked. I can see why Solidworks is such a great product and will continue to be one for a long time.

I think it's ridiculus to release something called 2008 before even the first half of 2007 is out ...

I think it's ridiculus to release something called 2008 before even the first half of 2007 is out ...

I agree. I think SWx should fix the current release before infecting the user base with more buggs that have the name 2008. I guess that's agressive marketing

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

It's just a number. It could just as easily be SW42. It's just used to differentiate between versions. Same thing with the auto-makers.

I agree that it would be perfect if SW "fixed" everything in the existing version before releasing a new one, but I don't believe that is possible. There are just too many variables with the computers and users to be able to foresee and prevent all problems that could arise. However, they should fix any common/basic problems which have existed for several versions before introducing any new functionality.

[cheers]

It might help to think of SW2008 SP0 and SP1 as open beta versions with SW2008 SP2 (which should come out closer to the end of the year) as the first “production release”. The dates work out closer and you are less apt to get burnt trying to do production work with bugs in the software.

Eric

Waiting for later SP's before updating is a double-edged sword...sure you don't have to deal with the issues that other users are finding for you, but at the same time if there's a critical issue that affects you there won't be time to implement it. We ran in to that back in SW 2005...we waited until SP4, found a critical issue that uniquely affected us...since we didn't find it until SP4, it couldn't be implemented until SW2006 SP0.

That being said, I would still probably wait until SP1.0 so they can implement all the Pre-release fixes...

As for the naming patterns, it is rather common in the cad community. Adesk has been doing it since ACad 02 or 04. I hope I get the SW08 soon, as I got a new notebook with that
damn Vista on it.
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back