Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2008 Routing Manual! HELP! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baroche

Civil/Environmental
Nov 28, 2006
GB
Hi All

Please has anybody used this 2008 Routing Manual? Is this the best source material for learning Routing in SW? I am about to buy it for about $120 (reseller in UK price), but not sure if I am wasting money. I can also get the 2006 version for chump change in the USA so any advice about whether manual has been revamped much for 2008 would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: Would it be accurate to say that these Training manuals do not change much from year to year. This is what I am seeing from 2005 to 2007.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There were some changes to Routings in 2008, though everything about it is detailed inthe What's New document. Some one please correct me if I am wrong but I believe the basic operation of the package hasn't changed.

Hi, got a couple issues with this one. First, a VAR is not supposed to sell a training manual, since they were meant for a course and not self instruction. Having said that, the VAR could be having issues selling the routing course and has decided to sell the manual instead. Secondly, $120 for just a training manual does seem high (as I said before this manual was not designed for self instruction). Maybe you could negotiate and get 1 hour of mentoring from one of the VARs techies and the manual for $120. That would have more value.

Thanks for the quick response guys. The VAR did mention that the manual came with the course and offered a Routing course for about $500. My thinking is that if the course is based on the Manual, I might as well just use the manual and same myself some money. I do have most of the 2007 manuals and they seem ok for self instruction. Do the VAR courses add much more than is in the manual?

I stumbled on myigetit.com, but wasn't sure how good they were. I think I will buy one of their bundles since it comes recommended.

Thanks very much guys! Great Help!

Do the VAR courses add much more than is in the manual?

Yes, because generally instructors cover many best practices that are not covered in the manual or the help.
In routing there are few things like constrain to sketch, placement mates and using drag and drop effectively that are quite important.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back