Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solidworks 2010 Flat Pattern problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin8208

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2009
US
I've been working in solid works for about 4 years. I draw in sheet metal and export the flat as dwg. I recently upgraded from 09' to 10' and now all the dwgs i export are doubled in scale. I cannot find a setting any where to alter this. I have looked at the dwg/dxf options in the "save as" area and it is set 1:1 sheet scale (even though i am not saving from a sheet). I also checked the flat pattern configuration and all is well. Everything is to scale until it is exported to dwg. It has become very frustrating, i cannot figure out why solidworks is scaling up all of my flat patterns.

Thnaks,

Justin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me make sure I understand. You are saving a .slddrw which is to scale, as a .dwg which is then scaled up behind the scenes? I do a lot of the same work but ... have seen this if my options are not set properly in SW but it is scaled up in the .slddrw as well.

Justin,

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem; but not being too familiar with the DWG editor, it had me puzzled for a while.

I'd been down the path of making sure of sheet scales and even created a "Full size" DXF/DWG sheet for exporting large items to avoid annoying error messages. I always opened the exported file in the DWG editor and used "Inquiry > Distance" to measure a couple of key elements to make sure all was OK. One day, shortly after upgrading SW and the Editor, I had a query from the workshop and went to check the DWG, it measured OK, but when I added a dimension, this was scaled 5X!!

After a bit of digging in the Editor, I found that under >Settings > Dimension Settings > Units (Tab) there are a couple of Scaling Options, the "Comprehensive scale factor" was correctly set to 1.00 but the "Linear Dimensioning scale factor" was set to 5.00 in a scrollBox. Quite why anyone would want the dimensions not to show the actual size is beyond me and seems very dangerous, I guess it must have some use (or so the programmer thought). I don't know if these setting are carried with the file, or if the setting on the openers software applies, so now I always add a couple of check dimensions to the exported file, and EXPLODE them to arrows and text so they won't be scaled whatever the settings.

I was saving strait from a sldprt. A sheet metal design to be exact. I ended up just pressing the "reset all" in the solidworks settings and it fixed itself. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back